[Vision2020] Wilson says and CBN reports

J Ford privatejf32 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 13 20:37:31 PST 2006

Ok;  I just watched the interview that CBN did with Garfield and Wilson
regarding Logos School and NSA.

I find it interesting that Garfield specifically states rote learning is
essential and that "learning to reason comes later."  In other words, it is
not important to understand WHY something works or why something is done in
a specific way, only that it does or is because the teacher says it does or
is.  "Rote learning is  almost a bad term, in many cases."  But that is how
they teach in Logos.  Apparently, learning logic at an earlier age, such as
even 6th grade is beyond the children.

His wife, however, a third grade teacher says "The reason I teach Latin is
because it teaches students how to think.  In a detailed way.  I also like
the way it subconsciously reinforces the English grammar."  (Wonder if she
taught Christ Schlect?)

The report then goes on to say that by 8th grade the students are ready to
learn logic.  One student is heard to say "If one of the statements is true,
the other one must be false."  Garfield says "They want to find out
fallacies; they want to catch people out."  (Why?  Are they teaching these
kids to dis-trust the rest of society?) The narrator says, "they learn how
to reason and argue.  By High School, they're studying rhetoric and learning
how to convey all they've learned persuasively."

Huh?  Does this mean there can only be one true statement in a discussion or
argument?  Who determines what statement is the true one and which is the
false one and on what is that decision based?  And just whose rhetoric is it
they are learning to convey?

Wilson says that Logos and NSA, above all else, teach the art of reasoning
and thinking.  It is his belief that if a person can learn OLD Latin and
Greek, they can learn to reason.

My confusion is, why is Garfield the principal of a school that Wilson
"co-founded" and yet they seemingly are at opposite ends of the reason for
teaching in the "classical manner"?  It appears as if one is saying "learn
by rote but don't learn why" and the other is saying "learn to think,
grasshopper, by learning old languages."

I am also at a loss as to why CBN failed to notify the public that the
"teachers" are NOT graduates from any kind of educational program or don't
have even a BA in Education much less any kind of degree in their subject
area; such as Mrs. Garfield for example, teaching Latin.  Does she in fact
have a degree in that language or is she teaching only what she is told
something means or what she reads in one of Wilson's books?

Wilson specifically notes that he feels that he was cheated in HIS
education; yet, he has an MA (?) from the UI.  To be fair, Garfield has an
education degree, but seemingly does not feel that his "teachers" need that
same kind of training.  Was he also cheated in his education?  If so, how?
Wilson doesn't explain how he was cheated, just that he was.  (I am sure Jim
Wilson is pleased to know his son feels like his parents did such a lousy
job of raising him.  Proud moment, I'm sure.)

The report states that Logos has had 25 National Merit Semi-finalists,
"per-capita the highest in Idaho and averages 35% higher on the year-end
achievement tests."  I am not sure where they get their figures as they are
not backed up by any proof outside of Wilson's saying it is so.  It could be
these are true statements, but why don't they back it up?

Wilson says that they accept "average kids from average American
families"...not one of them is black, indian, oriental, gay,
handicapped...so what is the definition of the "average American families"?

The narrator goes on to state there are over 160 Logos schools here and
abroad...oh yeah? They have international schools now, do they?  In what
countries?  The Logos site states "Logos School sells many of its
administrative and curriculum materials to sister schools and other people
around the United States" - not ONE mention of international or "abroad"
schools anywhere.

It is also stated in the report that 250 students have graduated from Logos;
yet their own site says they "have graduated hundreds of students since"
1985.  Nit picky perhaps, but 250 vs. "hundreds" is not "conveying" the same
thing.

Of course, CBN did not bother to mention the fact that Logos is out of
compliance with its non-profit status, or that Wilson is the writer of such
trash as his "Slavery" book, or that he is a "pseudo-confederate" (NOT a
neo-confederate"!), that HE is a tax-evader, or that he has authorized the
illegal building up of businesses in improperly zoned areas, or his troubles
with gambling, or Garfield's lying to the County during a public hearing
about Logos, etc.

I'm sorry, but a report based solely on Wilson's and/or Garfield's bragging
just isn't much of a report and CBN should be ashamed of its lack of
investigation of this "school", Garfield and Wilson.

J  :{)