[Vision2020] Council Far From Anti-Growth

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Mon Mar 13 16:01:06 PST 2006

>From today's (March 13, 2006) Daily News with a special thnks to Councilman
Robert Stout -

Council far from anti-growth

I have been somewhat surprised by the amount of false information being
propagated about the new Moscow City Council's attitude towards growth and
development in our community.  The mantra describing our efforts seems to be
"no growth" and "anti-business".  As far as my personal attitude, that
couldn't be further from the truth.  I recognize the benefits of having a
thriving business community and will always foster that.  However, I also
recognize such things as a living wage, some regulations on business and
developments, and supporting growth that protects Moscow's quality of life.

When individuals in our community repeat the no-growth rhetoric there is a
negative connotation that does not help our community thrive and prosper.
The new council has been in office for about 60 days.  We have not approved
any ordinances that could reasonably be construed as anti-business or
no-growth.  The concept of the recently passed large retail ordinance has
been in the works for quite some time.  The premise of this ordinance is not
to discourage large retail establishments from locating in our community,
but rather bring them in as an equal partner in protecting the quality of
life of our city.

I was not elected to represent any one interest in this community.  I wasn't
elected to represent the realtors, the MCA, the chamber of commerce, the
University of Idaho community, or downtown business.  I was elected to
represent our community as a whole and make informed and fair decisions that
will keep our community economically and socially sustainable.  I intend to
do that and hope you will join me in my efforts.

Robert C. Stout
Moscow

Thank you, Councilman Stout.

Instead of alleging fault where no fault exists, I challenge the people of
Moscow to support and evaluate our city council openly and fairly.

If it is felt that the council could improve in certain areas, provide
constructive criticism.  At the same time, if it is felt that the council is
performing their responsibilities in an exemplary manner, tell them.

It's an old adage, people, and it has worked for limitless generations:

"Don't tell me why I can't.  Tell me how I can."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

and the Realist adjusts his sails."
- Unknown