[Vision2020] Re: Nuremberg Defense? Corporate Totalitarian Complicity

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sat Mar 11 22:13:36 PST 2006

Ted,

>When respondents in a discussion do not face the
>questions raised or facts presented, it is
>frustrating.  I do not accept your suggestion to
>drop certain topics for now.  Perhaps you will
>delete and ignore this response, but others may
>find the arguments and facts presented below of value.

Your response is somewhat disingenuous to the
readers and to me.  I see no point is pursuing a
dialogue when we have each expressed our opinions
and they are in opposition to one another.

>You did not squarely answer this question from
>my previous post in this thread when I compared
>the case of a moral argument against
>prostitution resulting in strong government
>regulation, to a similar argument applied to Wal-Mart, in my opinion:

Please note your words as the end of the sentence
above "in my opinion".  In my opinion, I responded quite "squarely".

>Jeff seems to argue there are no valid "moral"
>objections that can be raised to Wal-Marts
>conduct.  Correct me if I am wrong, Jeff.

No Ted, I did not argue that.  In the United
States, WalMart has been prosecuted for violation
of US labor law.  It is not possible to prosecute
WalMart in China for violation of US labor laws.

>You did make a stab at answering the question by
>asserting that you, I and the USA has no legal
>standing in China, and that a boycott of Chinese
>made goods is not the solution.  This argument
>is a form of the Nuremberg defense used by Nazi
>war criminals:  they were following the current
>laws of Germany, and other nations had no right to impose their laws.

So you are comparing WalMart to Nazi War Criminals?

>According to this argument, Saddam Hussein
>cannot be judged by US legal standards, nor did
>the US have any legal standing to invade and
>depose him, unless you bring in the United
>Nations, or some other international body which
>asserts universal moral standards, providing us
>a "moral" standard outside national boundaries,
>which then also allows us to judge US Corporations "moral" conduct in China.

As I understand it, that is precisely why Hussein
is being tried in Iraq by an Iraqi court.  And
yes, the invasion of Iraq was the result of the
processes pursued in the United Nations.  If you
bring the WM question to the UN and prevail in
getting the security council to accede to your
point, then you would have not only the legal
authority to deal with WM in China, but
presumably the moral authority as well.  You do
feel strongly about this issue and I would
encourage you to pursue this agenda.  I have not
familiarized myself with the role of the
International Court System in matters such as
this.  It might be fruitful for you to pursue your concerns there.

>If US Corporations might be following, as you
>suggested, the dictum "when in Rome, you must do
>as the Romans do," this appears to be an
>admission that US corporations are violating
>China's citizens human rights, given that China
>certainly violates the human rights of its
>citizens.  Perhaps you think it is acceptable
>for US based corporations to be complicit in
>violating human rights in China, based on
>whatever argument you are using, perhaps an
>argument referencing a "greater good in the long
>run" to be gained by winking at US corporate
>complicity with human rights violations.

Wrong again Ted.  You seem more interested in
subverting my comments than having a
dialogue.  As I have stated on previous posts, I
see three possible courses of action to deal with
the human rights issues in China - economic and
trade relations, cold war and/or hot war.  My
preference for a course of action is to pursue
economic and trade relations - for the many reasons I noted in earlier posts.

>Let me ask again, phrased differently:  if you
>think the government should be in the business
>of policing "moral" issues like prostitution
>between two consenting adults who agree to an
>economic exchange for services rendered, with
>both parties happy with the outcome, why do you
>negate the validity of "moral" arguments against
>Wal-Mart, assuming you do?  What I am implying
>is that you may not be consistently applying
>economic and moral principles, allowing strong
>government regulation of business in one case
>based on certain moral principles, yet denying
>the validity of government regulation of
>business in a different case, based on other
>moral principles that some people assert.

Surely you are just trying to taunt me,
yes?  Ted, we are a nation of laws (a descriptive
statement).  Other nations have laws as well (a
descriptive statement).  The US has no moral
authority in China (a descriptive statement) nor
does it have legal authority.  Prostitution is
illegal in the US because a large number of
citizens (probably a majority) have elected
officials to impose sanctions on the sale of
sex.  (a descriptive statement and you do not
know my feelings about this issue - I have not
stated them - because how I FEEL about this issue
is not at the core of the dialogue.)  The US has
labor laws (fact). Labor laws are a moral issue
(a fact).  If you violate labor law in the US,
you will likely be prosecuted and sanctioned.  If
a US company, operating in China, is in
compliance with Chinese labor law, but  violates
US labor law, there is no standing for a US
plaintiff to address the issue in China - except
perhaps persuasion.  Perhaps there is an
opportunity to take the matter to international
court ................legislating morality - that's a real challenge huh!

am I consistently applying economic and moral
principles?  Probably not to your satisfaction,
but different environments may require a
different mix of economic policy and moral persuasion.

>You in fact do make a "moral" argument for
>Wal-Mart's positive effect, both domestic and
>internationally.  But you seem to deny that a
>different kind of moral argument can be made to
>regulate Wal-Mart more strenuously to enforce
>more stringent labor, environmental and human rights law.

As noted above, it depends on
jurisdiction.  Sovereign nation states are just
that - sovereign.  Ya gotta be careful when you
go sticking your nose in another man's (or woman's) tent.

>I think you need to show that the moral
>principles some apply to demand more regulation
>of Wal-Mart's conduct are either flawed or
>invalid principles, that Wal-Mart simply does
>not engage in the egregious conduct some allege,
>or that the good Wal-Mart is doing is
>inextricably linked to the egregious conduct in
>a manner that justifies taking no further action
>based on government regulation against the undesirable conduct.

I think you need to stop sticking your nose in my
tent. - That was of course, a bit facetious - but to amplify a point.

Labor unions and other WM critics can spend their
energy attacking WM.  WM is more than capable of
defending itself.  I am not one to defend or
attack WalMart and that is not what interests
me.  WM is a solid economic engine that
efficiently and effectively moves goods from
source to shelves to serve customers' needs.  WM
and other international corporations are, in my
opinion, well positioned to bring about positive
changes in the labor markets, capital markets and
other resource markets.  Fact is, those changes
will come about whether WM wants them to or not -
as long as markets are allowed to move to
competitive status - the more companies get
access to those "cheap" labor markets, the more
the price for that labor will rise.

>You did imply this later alternative when you
>suggested that the best approach is to "provide
>opportunities for the Chinese culture to see
>alternatives."  But then applying this argument
>to the censorship of information in China by US
>based Internet companies should have you up in arms!  I guess not.

There you go again - raising that issue that I
have not yet prepared myself to comment on.

>On the issue of US based Internet corporations
>conduct in China that has raised serious human
>rights concerns, I think you are dodging the issue when you responded:
>
>I don't yet know enough about the issue your
>raised regarding the role of the Internet and US
>companies in denying freedom of speech for
>Chinese citizens to know how accurate those accusations are.

That sounds like your opinion again.  You are
entitled to your opinions. But I have been quite
clear - I will comment when I have completed my research on the topic.

>--------
>Unless the US Congress is debating restrictions
>on the international conduct of certain US based
>Internet corporations based on fantasy (a
>possibility, given other fantasies that have
>dominated the US Congress, like Iraq WMDs in the
>months before invading) the conduct I referenced
>regarding US Corporations assisting the Chinese
>Communist Party in China with censorship, and
>information resulting in the jailing of
>political dissidents, is rather well documented
>at this time. In fact, the corporations involved
>are caught red handed in some of the instances
>of egregious conduct involved in these issues.
>It seems you have chosen to disregard the
>evidence I presented earlier on this topic, so I
>will now present more information in the
>following links, with some excerpts.  There are
>suggestions for US government regulation of US
>Internet corporations, to stop this egregious
>conduct, by several US Congresspeople, presented below:
>
><http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2006-02-12-china-net_x.htm>http://www.usatoday.com/money/world/2006-02-12-china-net_x.htm

Why would you assume that I have chosen to
disregard the cites that you provided?  Would you
deny me the fun of the research?  What is it you
really want?  What would you have me do?  Do you
just want me to accede to your position?

OK - I give up.

Without a complete understanding of the issue and
under pressure from Mr. Moffett to acknowledge
his position, I acknowledge that he has
identified several references and citations that
acknowledge his position.  Based on what I know
of the subject at this point, I admit that he has
several references that support his claim and
based on those citations I would attest that he
has a position that is supported by those citations.

OK?

Have a nice spring break - I will be back in a couple of days.