[Vision2020] Rural and remote

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Sat Mar 11 17:40:53 PST 2006

On 11 Mar 2006, at 11:25, Tom Hansen wrote:

> Rural America is loaded with communities that are not within driving
> distance of a pharmacy, especially here in Idaho.
>
> Google “Dixie, Idaho”.  We here in Moscow don’t understand what
> “rural” truly is.
>
> Disabled American Veterans (DAV) has been attempting to reduce this
> problem with its Mobile Service Office (MSO) Program, an integral part
> of the DAV’s Outreach Programs.
>
> http://www.dav.org/veterans/outreach_programs.html
>
> So, John D, it comes down to what you consider to be “driving
> distance” between a pharmacy and a disabled client.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Tom Hansen
> Moscow, Idaho

I have a cowgirl friend who grew up in Plevna, Montana.  (She was many
times the state barrel-racing and goat roping champion.)  Her family's
ranch was so remote that when one of them got sick, they had to phone
the goddamn-rooshen-sonofabitching-honyocking farmer neighbor, who had
a small airplane, and ask him to fly the sickie-poo to Miles City.  The
rest of the time, they relied on a family member who'd trained as a
veterinarian.  Not legal, but good in a pinch.

There are places more remote in heaven and earth than are dreamt of in
your philosophy, John D.  I'd hate to have an apoplexy or a TIA in
Deary, or Helmer, or Elk River -- how long would it take (without a
neighbor's plane) to get to Gritman?  How exponentially lower your
chances of recovery or even survival?  And those places, by Eastern
Montana standards, are not especially remote.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com

PS: Many thanks to Jim Meyer for offering a pharmacist's perspective on
Plan B.  Much appreciated.