[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Mar 9 14:31:07 PST 2006

Jeff et. al.

Melynda made the point about brothels and government regulation relating to
the Wal-Mart debate, and I thought you dismissed her point too easily.  I
don't think her point, or mine, is "silly," given the support for legalized
prostitution from many libertarian free market advocates, Noble Prize
winner Milton Friedman among them, resulting from the compelling logic of
libertarian free market capitalism, an approach it appears you support.

As far as I can tell from your response, when it comes to prostitution, you
declare this a "moral" issue (and Wal-Mart's human rights, labor or
environmental violations are not moral issues with equal importance to
prostitution?), based on community standards, which the community has
reasonably (I assume Jeff thinks illegal prostitution to be reasonable,
given that he chose to not come out in favor of letting marketplace freedoms
operate on this issue) decided to regulate with criminal sanctions
.
But if some think there are moral issues with Wal-Mart's international
conduct, or local community standards that some think Wal-Mart may violate
in bringing a supercenter to Moscow, Jeff turns to the arguments supporting
the benefits of the unfettered free market.  Jeff seems to argue there are
no valid "moral" objections that can be raised to Wal-Marts conduct.
Correct me if I am wrong, Jeff.

Jeff wrote that we have a "reasonable strategy for working with China."  I
don't call assisting the Chinese Communist Party with denying freedom of
political speech, and providing information that results in the jailing of
political prisoners a "reasonable strategy."

I could offer documentation regarding Wal-Mart's conduct internationally
that raises moral issues, but this information has already been posted to
Vision2020.

Ted Moffett