[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Mar 9 11:06:50 PST 2006

Hi Joe,

I think the brothel issue is one of morality.  I did not make the
law.  But enough citizens and lawmakers must have been persuaded in
their minds that the sale of sex should be illegal.  If enough people
are persuaded otherwise, the criminal aspect could be removed (which
has been done in some jurisdictions e.g., Nevada, Holland).

I guess I can assess the difference between criminal matters and
civil issues reasonably well - usually rooted in the notion of
community standards.  I am, of course, not advocating that you SHOULD
BE ABLE to assess the difference.  Frankly, I am indifferent as to
how you assess the difference.  Criminal statute and civil statute
emerge in our republic as a result of a democratic, majority rules
process - tempered by the oversight of the US Supreme Court.

On the one hand however, it has been argued that the only difference
between criminal law and civil law is the nature of the sanctions
imposed.  There is some rational for that - but then the legal
process differs as well - Miranda rights, etc.

Oh one final point, I would not concede that there are adequate
"protections" against illegal drugs.  It remains a significant
problem and I would argue that additional "protections" should be
considered.  Much along the same rationale, I support the "Jessica's
law" that is attempting to raise the sanctions for sexual predation
of children.