[Vision2020] Corporate Totalitarian Complicity

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 13:11:15 PST 2006

Jeff et. al.

Mr. Holmquist's comments I do not think were meant to be a literal precise
academic quantitative analysis.  With a phrase like "every nook and cranny
from Moscow Mountain to Paradise Ridge and beyond..." the reader should be
able to understand this is hyperbole to make a point, and is not meant
literally.

Also, the Chinese Communist Party is a small group of people in China who
rule that country with methods that violate human rights.  When you write "I
do not accept the notion that it is appropriate for a small group of people
to impose or define the standards of living or quality of life for me or
anyone else." and then continue with gushing optimism about the wonderful
developments capitalism is bringing China, without mention of China's human
rights violations, the denial of free speech and political organizing, the
kangaroo courts imposing the death penalty, the gulags holding dissidents in
horrible conditions, the repression of religious freedom, and the ethical
implications of US corporations conforming to or assisting in these human
rights violations, I wonder how consistently you are applying your ideology,
your set of ethical rules, given the apparent internal contradictions.

I won't labor the ethical problems with Wal-Mart's overseas operations,
given that they have already been presented on Vision2020, but consider a
different view of the "progress" US Internet related corporations are making
in helping China to "democratize" on the Internet  An argument can be made
that US corporations are assisting in keeping China a dictatorship, that in
fact the labor pool that US corporations exploit in China is being kept
under control (think what might happen to this stable compliant labor pool
if a democratic freedom movement swept over China?) with censorship and
propaganda that in effect renders US corporations in compliance with Chinese
totalitarian tactics.  Even pro-business US politicians think these
corporations need regulating regarding the ethical violations they are
committing in China:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2042473,00.html

     Internet firms accused of 'evil' pact with China to hand over
dissidentsBy Tim Reid
Congressmen allege that web companies turn a blind eye to censorship and
torture for market share     SOME of America's most-powerful internet
companies, including Google and Yahoo, were accused yesterday by a US
congressional committee of a "sickening and evil" collaboration with the
Chinese Government and of being complicit in the jailing and torture of
dissidents.

Read more about the issue of US corporate compliance with Chinese
totalitarian censorship, human rights abuses, and jailing of dissidents:

http://www.amnestyusa.org/business/testimony.html

Ted Moffett