[Vision2020] Bush Seeks Line-Item Veto

James Reynolds chapandmaize at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 08:08:55 PST 2006

I expect you are correct that Bush will misuse the power of a line item
veto. The Democrats will not be able to get anything through and he will use
it as a club to keep his own party in line with his agenda. His use of it
will have nothing to do keeping government spending down. He definitely
hasn't shown any fiscal restraint yet while adding 3.3 trillion dollars to
our accumulated debt and  pushing it to where 13% (352 billion in 2005) of
our taxes now goes to interest payments. But after the 2008 election, when
we have a grownup who is concerned with proper government, it would be a
nice tool to use to stop congress from tacking last minute pork onto
necessary legislation/appropriations. Now that the entire government is
under the complete control of one party may be the only time a line item
veto could be implemented. It is also hard for me to envision Bush being
able to do any more damage with the line item than he has been doing without
it. He probably just understands that after 2006 he will be without his
private hold over the entire government and wants the line item to fight off
the grownups with.

James