[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Mar 7 19:56:07 PST 2006

Melynda,

Thanks for the comments - I appreciate your interest in the dialogue.

For the third time, let me reiterate the initial
argument.  In a letter to the editor, Antone Holmquist stated that:

>Some local economists have trumpeted the economic mantra of "consumer
>choice" and bemoan Moscow's 1 percent annual growth.
>
>Basic mathematics, however, reveals that a 1 percent annual growth in Moscow
>would certainly fill every nook and cranny from Moscow Mountain to Paradise
>Ridge and beyond within an average lifetime and such growth is just frankly
>unsustainable worldwide.

His math was flawed and his conclusions were therefore flawed.

My response was:

Basic mathematics implies a result quite
different from the conclusion reached by Mr.
Holmquist.  According to the Moscow Chamber of
Commerce, the population demographics for Latah County and Moscow are:

Population Growth

                 City            County
1980            16,513          28,749
1990            18,422          31,314
1995            20,555          33,050
1998            21,500          32,051
2000            21,291          34,935
2005            21,700          35,218

The average annual growth rate for Moscow is .7%
The average annual growth rate for Latah is .6%

If we were fortunate enough to grow by 1% for the
next 100 years, the population for the City and the County would be:

City            58,695
County  95,258

If we use the historical growth rate of .7% and
.6%, our population in 100 years would be:

City            43,592
County  64,056

It just seems irresponsible to argue that if our
population doubles in the next 100 years, that we
are doomed here. The fact is, if we maintain our
current growth rate, we are faced with the
challenge of finding homes for about 350 folks
(say about 150 families) each year for the
foreseeable future.  Of course, about a third of
those would presumably settle in the rural towns
of the County.  Some are arguing that finding
homes for about 100 or so families each year in Moscow is "too much" growth?

As to "quality of life", I am comfortable with my expressed view on that:

Quality of life is a qualitative assessment - and
only measurable at the individual personal
utility level. It is virtually impossible to
compare, in any meaningful way, the utility of
one person's "quality of life" with that of
another person (e.g., I am always happier than you!).

I agree with you that a perplexing part of the
dialogue is the divide between the quantitative
and the qualitative. But I do not agree that
methodology is our chasm - but ideology.  I do
not accept the notion that it is appropriate for
a small group of people to impose or define the
standards of living and quality of life for me or
anyone else. Just as this approach has always
failed to achieve an optimal much less a
satisficing state, it shall continue to fail.

Rather than feed a hungry person once, I would
rather teach them to feed themselves.  When I
observe the economic system in action, I never
cease to be amazed at how effective it is.  In
just two decades, capitalism is transforming the
Chinese culture. If you look at the "standard of
living" in China just 20 years ago and compare it
to today, you will find a remarkable change.  I
see it every day when I work face to face with
young Chinese students in classes at UI.  And,
while several companies and politicians can take
responsibility for bringing capitalism to China,
WalMart has been a leader - maybe they haven't
done as much as you would like or the way you
would have done it, but the fact is, they have
been a leader.  And through their persuasive
techniques with suppliers it is important to
recognize that they have improved the working
conditions for the Chinese employee.  And given
what the Chinese studying here in the US are
taking from us and introducing in their country,
they stand to be a formidable competitor.

As to ethics, were you aware of the ethical
standards program that WalMart adopted?  If not, here is a brief description

Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. has always been a
values-based, ethically led company. The values
guiding our decisions and leadership are the 3
basic beliefs established by our founder, Sam Walton, in 1962:
    * Respect for the Individual
    * Service to the Customer
    * Strive for Excellence

Mission Statement
The mission of the Global Ethics Office is to
promote Wal-Mart's ethical culture globally. The
Global Ethics Office was established on June 1,
2004. On June 4, 2004 Wal-Mart released a revised
Global Statement of Ethics to communicate our
ethical standards to all Wal-Mart facilities and
stakeholders. The Global Ethics Office provides
guidance in making ethical decisions based on the
Global Statement of Ethics and a process for
anonymous reporting of suspected ethics violation
by calling the
<http://walmartstores.com/GlobalWMStoresWeb/navigate.do?catg=11>Ethics
Helpline.

Global Ethical Principles
Wal-Mart's Guiding Ethical Principles were added
to the revised Global Statement of Ethics on June
4, 2004. These principles are designed to assist
our Associates and Suppliers with making the
right decision and doing the right thing.
    * Follow the law at all times
    * Be honest and fair
    * Never manipulate, misrepresent, abuse or conceal information
    * Avoid conflicts of interest between work and personal affairs
    * Never discriminate against anyone
    * Never act unethically – even if someone else instructs you to do so
    * Never ask someone to act unethically
    * Seek assistance if you have questions about
the Statement of Ethics or if you face an ethical dilemma
    * Cooperate with any investigation of a possible ethics violation
    * Report ethics violations or suspected violations
Granted, this "global policy" is a relatively new
version, built from their earlier ethics
program.  And it will be interesting to see how
it plays out over time.  It is being imposed on
all suppliers.  Of course, the skeptical will
simply argue that WM is just creating a false
front.  That may be true, but if it turns out to
be a spurious effort, I have every confidence that such effort will be exposed.

Again, thanks for the thoughtful response.