[Vision2020] Re: Re: Walmart, the big domino.........

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Tue Mar 7 08:06:53 PST 2006

Mr Chasuk,

A warm and charming story - and pleasing to
read.  And I am certain that you enjoyed it.  I
found the experience of having to adjust my
schedule to fit the shopkeepers annoying - taking
time away from other activities that I enjoy.

When I moved to the Palouse 30 years ago, stores
closed at 5:00 - most closed on Sat by noon (if they were open at all).

But you can still enjoy the shopping regime of
Europe- just go back there - my recent trips to
Europe brought me in touch with that - charming
and pleasant - for a holiday.  The local shops
were especially prevalent in southern Greece and
southern Italy. It would fail here - mostly, I
think, because most of us would rather spend our
time doing things besides shopping - hiking,
gardening, reading, helping not-for-profits,
playing with children, visiting friends in their
homes or having them visit us, taking pictures,
skiing,  ......  Of course, it is just my opinion
..........  and that is the nature of "quality of
life" ..... we are all free to seek a preferred "quality of life".

You find the megastore "cheap" - I find it
efficient, effective and safe. Many of my senior
citizen friends find it a vast improvement over
the struggle of trying to get from one business
to another on slippery streets and slippery
sidewalks in the winter.  You must not appreciate
how difficult it can be when you have brittle
bones and slip and fall and break your hip.  It's
one thing to ask someone to stop at "the store"
and pick up a couple of things.  It's quite
another to ask someone to please stop at these 6 places for me.

But the beautiful aspect of free enterprise is
that you are free to invest capital in a small
store and lease it to someone for a small
business.  If it is all that great an idea for
the people that live here, it will prosper and
soon other small stores will pop up and so
on.  You can have your thing without impinging on my thing.

There are several small shops in Moscow for you -
wine, natural foods, tattoos, t-shirt, bakery,
coffee house, tavern, comic books, bookstore,
jewelry shop, gift store, pet store ......  If a
particular one is missing, invest some capital
and see what happens - it might just work.