[Vision2020] Illegals

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Sat Mar 4 22:38:32 PST 2006

Kai, I was raised in Tucson, only an hour from the border.  My mother and
her partner are active in Humane Borders, which provides water to immigrants
crossing the Sonoran desert.  And I've seen tarpaper and corrugated plastic
shacks in Coahuila, Chihuahua, and Sonora that should hold tools and
machinery, but instead house families.  Most of the people I worked with had
only a few years of schooling, if that, and have been working since they
were children.

I'm also aware that hospitals, schools and, much less often, jails and
prisons are suffering under the weight of illegal immigrants who require
services.  I've seen the effects of compassion fatigue from providers as
well as the effects of underfunding in their agencies, and my tax dollars
pay for those services, just like yours, Kai.  And, just like the tax
dollars paid by undocumented workers in the U.S.  I'm not arguing for open
borders, but neither will I assume that legal immigration is accessible and
simple enough for anyone with a few months and a few bucks to avail
themselves of.  The folks I worked with were sub-literate, undereducated,
desperately poor, and had almost no power, economic or political, in their
home country.  (Not surprisingly, but tragically, lighter-skinned Jaliscans
scorned darker residents of the Districto Federal, who in turn loathed the
Oaxacans, who spoke about being glad they weren't some other,
darker-skinned, group.  It seems that racism demands that its voice be
heard, even among those who suffer from its effects courtesy of the
majority).  Legal immigration, while certainly preferable, is unattainable
for those who most need relief -- the  poor.  I've known a few people who've
immigrated legally, and I've known many more who arrived without papers,
were granted amnesty in the mid-80s, and now are citizens with a greater
respect for the duties thereof than most native-born Americans I know.

There is one woman in this world who I consider the sister I never have.  H.
  arrived here when she was 3; her family crossed over illegally and moved
from orchard to orchard, field to field, with the crops.  She's 38 now, a
paraprofessional in the public school system, U.S. citizen, wife, and mother
of four beautiful daughters who, like their mom, are fully bilingual (OK,
one's only 6 mos. old, but she will be!).  She and her husband are
soon-to-be homebuyers, attend a local church, pay their taxes and root for
their girls' soccer teams.  She is a consummate citizen, neighbor, and
friend; again, if I have a sister in this world, it's her.  But it wasn't
her green card or her U.S. citizenship that gave her such strength of
character and such a sense of responsibility; those things were bestowed
upon her because of them.  Most of the people I know who began like Hilda
will end up much like her, to all of our benefit.  Her family didn't start
out with anything, but her eldest daughter will begin college next year.
The presumption that somehow the totality of la familia Ramirez' life in the
United States boils down to a "soaking up" of native-born Americans'
pensions and VA benefits is more than a little offensive and entirely
inaccurate.

It's difficult for me to see how anyone can salute the $400 billion we've
spent in Iraq and yet feel justified in denying medical benefits and
education to immigrant children.  Someone has reached his hands deep into
your pockets, Kai and Matt, but guess what?  It's a white guy from Texas,
born in privilege and steeped in avarice and corruption, who's soaking up
your future and that of your children.

keely