[Vision2020] Goodnight Goody, Goodnight Ridge

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Sat Mar 4 10:54:40 PST 2006

Gary,

Perhaps you are just a trifle pessimistic about Moscow's ability to grow, to attract and/or to help businesses succeed.

If it is permitted, let me write about two local success stories.

Rudy's

Dan and Gretchen Ruark had a vision about opening a small cafe offering high quality super-delicious hamburgers, related items, and fast, sincerely friendly service.  They planned carefully.  They invested their time and money, not without risk in a location in a mall which at that time was having occupancy problems.  They worked hard, long hours. They were not adverse to changing and experimenting with various ideas to enhance the attractiveness of their products and atmosphere.

I don't know for sure if they are making a decent income, but they have what appears to be an enthusiastic, very satisfied customer base.  When we think of fast food to eat in or to go which is substantial, nutritious, and does not taste like cardboard, we stop at Rudy's.  We have never been disappointed.

I admire what they have done.  I recommend Rudy's constantly to others.  They provide a positive, reasonably priced product in a convenient and pleasant location.  They are, to me, a sterling example of what a locally owned business can and should be.

VGH (Video Game Headquarters)

Todd and Tonia Green also had a vision.  The result of their vision was at first a small store in the PEM selling mostly game hardware and software.  They now are much, much more.  They sell a wide variety of the latest game hardware and software.  But now they also build computers and computer systems for businesses and home users.  They sell computer software and hardware components.  They service/repair a great variety of different computer hardware and components at very reasonable prices.

They started out in a small space and moved to a larger one as their business grew.  They have recently expanded again.  I sit at this moment using a computer which they custom built for me.  It is an especially complex computer.  They built it for me at a price which was competitive with that of those companies that build high quality PCs.  They service what they have sold me.  I am very satisfied with all the business that I have transacted with them.

Like Rudy's, VGH provides positive, reasonably priced products and services in a convenient and pleasant location.  They are, to me, another sterling example of what a locally owned business can and should be.

Many other examples could be added to this list:  Paradise Creek Cycle, Book People, Wild Women Traders, etc.  Perhaps other posters will tell about their favorite success stories.

There have sadly been some failures also.  Many of these failures, in my opinion, could have been prevented with a little more business acumen, better customer service, and better planning in sync with the needs and temperament of the community.

I have been in the past critical of some of the direction, the lack of certain direction, and the faintness of the efforts of the LEDC.  I think things are looking much better there now.  Phil Nesbit, our recently departed advocate, for example, recently made some very useful suggestions for areas for the LEDC to pursue.  I think there is a new open-mindedness at the LEDC and less of a What's-In-It-For-Me attitude.

There is a whole set of questions about what kind of businesses to attempt to attract to this area and questions about community values.  I sincerely hope that we are hostile to some kinds of businesses:  private prisons, rendering plants, large open pit mining operations, etc.  There are still many kinds of businesses that would be welcomed enthusiastically into the community.  Many businesses would love to locate here for the quality of life we now enjoy.  [Note the subtext in the preceding sentence.]  We need to identify and to recruit/help build those businesses.

There is another set of problems with Moscow community and economic development:  the policies, staffing, and the internal cultural of the City of Moscow government that has developed over a long period of years.  I hope that the present city council has the insight and courage to start to address those problems and to promote positive change.

Hence Gary, I don't share your pessimism.

Desirable businesses seldom object to reasonable regulation.  When I was active in the field of economic development, desirable businesses wanted to move to areas with strong, effective planning and zoning because that in the long run is an important factor in determining and maintaining a city's, county's, and an areas quality of life.  Besides prosperity, quality of life considerations are important to many business owners.  Desirable relocating business are many times looking to escape from areas whose quality of life has deteriorated due to anemic planning and zoning and ill-planned, under-regulation.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com