[Vision2020] Phil Nisbet

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Fri Mar 3 13:29:30 PST 2006

On 3 Mar 2006, at 10:41, lfalen wrote:

> all
>
> I just called Phil to see if he had any ideas on a speaker for our
> next grange meeting. His cousin answered the phone. She said that
> Phill passed away last night from a heart attack.
>
> Roger

Dear Visionaries,

I met Phil Nisbet on this list not quite a year ago.  We began by
arguing against, with, and then past one another.  But Phil broke that
pattern.  He took a brave and admirable leap; he reached out to me with
an olive branch in one hand and a book about Jewish women in the other.
  We came to understand (if not always agree with) one another, and I
liked him.  I joined the Grange because of Phil.  I became a devotee of
Mike Wendt's pottery.  We shared music, and art, and literature, and we
learned to fine-tune our arguments into friendly and constructive
exchanges.  Phil wrote some excellent pieces for the Northern Idaho
node of New West, and I found that he was a pleasure to edit.  He never
took any of my changes or suggestions personally.  He was a good writer
and a sensitive poet but he did not seem to suffer the burden of the
artist's ego.  This made him a rare man indeed.

Phil was working hard to bring an exhibit about Iraqi Jews to the
Palouse.  We talked about it often, both online and by telephone.  He
had asked me if I knew anyone who would be willing to escort the
exhibit back to London when the exhibition was over.  I suggested that
he and I hop a First Class Virgin Atlantic flight together and paint
the town red (Phil) and lavender (me).  He thought this was a pretty
funny idea.  But then, Phil being Phil, he talked very seriously about
the history of the Jews in England and about the London Synagogue.

Phil and I were working together on a piece about the Port of Lewiston
and its management in light of the six-port east coast deal with Dubai.
  He'd sent me a very detailed email about port management, and we were
planning to meet and talk before I wrote the story.  I really can't
take in this terrible news.  I have lit the Yarzeit candle, and I will
say kaddish.  It's what we do, but it isn't enough.  I am so sorry for
his family and children.

Ner Hashem Nishmat Adam
The Light of the Lord is the Soul of Humanity

Joan

Joan Opyr
Northern Idaho Editor
New West Magazine