[Vision2020] Goodnight Goody, Goodnight Ridge

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Fri Mar 3 11:02:28 PST 2006

Music Lovers,  Economists, and Absolute Monists,

The following words appeared in the letter below written by Jay Feldman and
posted by Tom Hansen:

"Ross tells us there is just such a store in Moscow, Paradise Ridge Records,
but he is unwilling to patronize it because its prices are higher than the
defunct Goody."

I believe the assumption in this quote is wrong.  My experience has been
that Sam Goody had the highest CD prices on the Palouse by a considerable
margin except for advertised specials, some of the prices of these specials
were still higher than Paradise Ridge CDs' prices.

For example,  I recently bought Moonlight Serenade by Carly Simon (a
collection of really old tunes for really old people like myself, done quite
tastefully).  The album comes with a disc which is a CD on one side and a
DVD on the other.  It was priced at $19.98 at Sam Goody and $16.98
elsewhere.  When I shopped at Paradise Ridge CDs, I found their prices
competitive -- many were below list.  Discussions with others lead me to
believe that they found prices highest by far at Sam Goody also.

Sam Goody at the PEM is closing in part because of corporate problems, part
of which may be related to their pricing strategies.  The local Sam Goody
also had other problems, some not fit for discussion on this list.

For those keeping track:

There are seven, soon to be eight vacancies at the PEM:

1.    Army Recruiters
2.    Marine Recruiters
3.    Optometrist Office
4.    Chocolaut
5.    Flower Shop
6.    Subway
7.    Market Place Gifts
8.    Sam Goody

There are persistent rumors that one quite large retailer is seriously
considering leaving.

Questions:

1.    Where is the PEM in its life cycle?
2.    Did the redecoration at the PEM with the oodles of light fixtures that
makes one think that they are in the midst of an extensive, well organized
invasion of flying saucers help or hinder the effort to attract more
customers?
3.    Did the stinginess/anti-community attitude of the PEM management in
eliminating the bus stop help or hinder the volume of business?
4.    If the vacancies at the PEM are an indication in some way of problems
of some kind with the local economy, how does this reflect on plans for the
big jesus shopping mall planned for just over the state line?
5.    Does the PEM vacancy rate have anything to do with the WalMart or the
two proposed WalMart Super Centers?
6.    What, if anything, could the PEM management do to increase the general
volume of business?

Of course, question 3 above is quite biasly stated; however, I think some
community reflection on these questions would be helpful in examining and
shaping some community values.

Quite sadly, a downtown store which we patronized very happily, is soon to
go out of business.  Although they carried a really excellent line of
products, gave excellent customer service, were very product knowledgeable,
and had an extremely liberal return policy, they are being squeezed by the
internet.  This is what happens:  People come in and look at the
merchandise, get detailed information, ask technical questions, examine
closely /try on the products, then they order the products over the
internet.

For many items we buy locally, we do just the opposite.  We research using
the internet, then buy or special order the products locally.  Local
merchants contribute and support many diverse community activities --
internet etailers do not.  Etailers generally do not collect Idaho sales tax
either.

Are any list members are concerned about the health of several local
business who face heavy competition from the internet?

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com