[Vision2020] RE: Unstable, Doomed, Missed Points

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Fri Mar 3 09:24:08 PST 2006

BJ,

Thank you for your comments.

I appreciate your interest in this matter but I
am puzzled by your unmitigated assertion that the
quality of life in Moscow is superior to that in
Latah County.  The fact that the population in RI
is 1.3 million or so suggests to me that there
must be many people that find the quality of life
acceptable.  Now that is true, but it is also
true that many of those folks have never spent
any time in Latah County.  I suspect that it is
also true that there aren't many folks from Latah
County that have spent meaningful time in RI.  I
did live in Smithville for 15 months - so I have
had the opportunity to experience both.  A
charming place really - rich in American history
and a community tied to the Atlantic Ocean and
maritime activities.  And they have a 400+ year
American history. We are still in knickers compared to that.

But all that of course really misses the
point.  I made no declarative statement about the
quality of life in Rhode Island versus Moscow.  I
did make a comparison between the two with regard
to the green space amenities.  RI has been able
to invest a significant amount of resources in
public green spaces and parks - which has been
made possible as a result of economic
infrastructure.  We don't have a similar resource base.

What I find so disappointing in discussing such
topics with you and others is the shift from a
quantitative dialogue (intended to clear some of
the fog from the scene) to having to retort to a
statement such as " ...but obviously Moscow's quality of life beats Rhode
Island's hands down."

Quality of life is a qualitative assessment - and
only measurable at the individual personal
utility level. It is virtually impossible to
compare the utility of one person's "quality of
life" with that of another person.  You just
don't seem to understand that - but that does
explain why you and others are so quick to impose
your "quality of life" standards on others.  It
does help to explain it - but it does not excuse it.

In any case, let me reiterate the point I made
last night.  To maintain the status quo in growth
(.6% to .7%), we must find a way to house about
150 - 200 families each year in Latah County -
that is a mathematical fact.  The challenge in
all of this is that those families must have a
way to feed and house themselves - they must have
economic opportunity.  There is a desperate need
for a viable economic engine that offers people
JOBS.  And there are some very specific elements
to those jobs - the output of those jobs must, in
one way or another, attract income from outside
of the county - we need to export product in
exchange for financial capital - that is also a mathematical fact.

You note that "Numbers don't always tell the
whole story and are often poor indicators of
culture and atmosphere." I agree with you
completely. And my numbers were not used to
advance a culture or atmosphere.  But some
numbers are very useful in helping us understand
the challenges we face here in Latah
County.  Among those are per capital income,
property tax burden per capita, overall tax
burden per capita and local per capita gross marginal product.

Finally, you state "BTW, people and number of
houses don't automatically equate to favorable
economic growth.  In fact, quite often the
opposite is true."  The fact is people and number
of houses are an indication of economic potential or lack thereof.

Again, thanks for your comments.