[Vision2020] Police to Protect Vandalized Home of Fallen Soldier

Pat Kraut pkraut at moscow.com
Thu Mar 2 23:21:19 PST 2006

I have been reading about this group...I hate the WWJD thing but in this
case it fits because Jesus would never accept this behavior. I do hope the
states where these people are are able to stop them.

>From today's (March 2, 2006) Early Bird edition of the Army Times -

It is believed that the perpetrators of the vandalism are members of the
same church that conducted protests at funeral services of gay slain
soldiers.

In my opinion this should be considered a hate crime and punishment imposed
accordingly.

Police to protect vandalized home of fallen soldier

Associated Press

KOKOMO, Ind. - Police posted an around-the-clock security watch at the home
of an Indiana soldier killed last week in Iraq after it was vandalized and
his family received disturbing phone calls.

The home of Sgt. Rickey Jones was egged Saturday, three days after Jones'
family learned the 21-year-old and three other soldiers had been killed by a
roadside bomb north of Baghdad. His family also received phone calls in
which the caller said: "I'm glad your son is dead."

The actions drew the attention of their congressman, Rep. Steve Buyer, a
Republican who also chairs the House Veterans' Affairs Committee.

"It is outrageous, appalling and indecent for an American citizen to commit
crimes and perversions against a family grieving at the loss of their son,"
Buyer said.

On Thursday, he spoke on the House floor asking his fellow lawmakers to
stand and observe a moment of silence "to condemn these despicable acts."

"A great virtue of the American character is our compassion. It is how we
care for each other in good times and in difficult times," he said. "It is
our compassion and human decency that represents the very best of our
nation."

Jones' relatives and police are bracing for the possibility that a Topeka,
Kan.-based group will protest at his funeral Monday.

Members of the Westboro Baptist Church have protested at military funerals
across the nation, including shouting insults at soldiers' surviving
relatives and holding signs that read "God Made IEDs" - a reference to
roadside bombs.

The group claims American soldiers are dying in Iraq due to divine
intervention because the United States harbors homosexuals.

The Westboro protesters, however, could face new restrictions at Jones'
funeral if Indiana Gov. Mitch Daniels signs a bill this week that would make
disorderly conduct at a funeral a felony and keep protesters at least 500
feet from a gravesite.

That bill, which won final approval Tuesday from the Indiana House, would
take effect immediately after being signed by Daniels. The governor's press
secretary, Jane Jankowski, said Daniels would sign the bill as soon as it
arrives on his desk.

"We're trying to get this family some closure, and not have to deal with
these stupid signs," state Rep. John Smith, R-Kokomo, said Tuesday.

State Sen. Brent Steele, who authored the legislation, said the bill doesn't
go as far as some states' attempts to hold back protests by the Westboro
group.

"I went as far as I thought I could and still have a constitutional bill,"
said Steele, R-Bedford.

Mark Potok, a spokesman for the Southern Poverty Law Center, said it's still
an open question whether some of the new laws restricting picketing are
entirely constitutional.

He said his civil rights organization has listed the Westboro Baptist Church
as a hate group for years. The minister who leads the group advocates making
homosexuality a capital offense.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"If not us, who?
If not now, when?"