[Vision2020] Heads up

Terry Morin terrencemorin at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 1 09:28:15 PST 2006

Yesterday I received the following email from Chris Schlect, the Academic
Dean of New St. Andrews College, regarding a vision2020 post from several
months ago. Given that many of you have commented on the recent
controversies surrounding NSA I was wondering if anyone else has been
contacted by Mr. Schlect. For those of you who are following poohsthink.com
Mr. Schlect serves on the Christ Church Judicial Committee (Doug Jones,
Chair). A copy of my original post follows Mr. Schlect's email.

Dear Terry,

I have learned that a couple months ago you published a letter to
Vision2020 concerning New Saint Andrews College. Your letter followed
a public hearing in which the proprietor of Paradise Ridge testified
to feeling pressure from an NSA student to sign a petition. From his
testimony you formulated a characterization of the whole college and
those associated with us.

Perhaps Nate did behave badly to this man. But Terry, this one man's
testimony falls well short of the Bible's basis for you to draw your
conclusion, much less to use your conclusion as a springboard for the
broadside you launched.

What this man described about Nate was a practice that you taught to
me to do as a representative of Printer Pro. When I worked for you,
you made a point to list for me who your customers were, and you
explicitly instructed me to me identify nearby customers as a way to
influence prospective customers. Naturally, there's a way to do this
that is obnoxious, and another way that's appropriate. You certainly
would have disapproved if I presented myself obnoxiously. (When
selling for Printer Pro I was quite self-conscious about coming off
as obnoxious. My temptation ran the opposite direction: to not be as
confident or assertive as I should have been.)

My concern is this: you publicly chastised one of our students for
this incident--and through him, our whole student body, faculty, and
administration--on the basis of one report. You did not seek out
another perspective. What's more, what Mr. Williams described in our
student's behavior (in a charitable reading of it) is consistent with
how you wanted me to act when I represented your business to your
perspective customers.

I wish you would meet the young man who went to the area businesses
and obtained those signatures. His name is Nate Halverson. I have
known Nate for a few years now. To be sure, Nate possesses some of
the marks immaturity common to a fellow his age, though far less so
than I did at his age, and many of my peers who know Nate would say
the same thing. I know Nate well enough to have a sense of the
impression he leaves on others.

Not only this, I know the impression that Nate left on numerous
business people with whom he spoke in regard to the petition. Nate
left a positive impression on them.

I am grateful that Nate Halverson is an NSA student, and happily own
up to my own association with him. He is a blessing to this
community. I would happily introduce Nate to you, and I can also show
you a delightful body of students that, by their character and
conduct, rebukes the way you hastily represented them.

For what it's worth, for years I have regarded Mr. Williams as my
favorite downtown merchant, and I send people to him. Though it's
been awhile now since I've been in his shop, I have on several
occasions taken the time to speak to him, especially about how
destructive to his business it is when young people pirate mp3 files.
But that's beside the point.

Is this something you would be willing to correct, or at least address to
Nate?

Best to you,

Chris Schlect

P.S. How are Linda and the kids? I am genuinely interested to know
what your kids are up to now.

Christopher R. Schlect, Academic Dean
New Saint Andrews College
P. O. Box 9025 / 405 South Main Street