[Vision2020] Most Americans Love Wal-Mart-69%

rvrcowboy rvrcowboy at clearwire.net
Fri Jun 30 11:52:18 PDT 2006

Donovan,

I sincerely hope I don't sound too much like a liberal here but I also have problems with Wal Mart.  Unlike many, here in the forum, I bear no particular hate for the company but I do question many of their business policies.

I recognize the value of having a large company in the area that will hire many people who would otherwise most likely not be able to get a job.  (Please don't construe that to mean I think all Wal Mart employees are incapable of working elsewhere.)  Wal Mart provides quality products at a good price and that is hard to argue with.

I have problems with all large corporations, with their national, and international, buying power coming into an area and unfairly competing with local businesses who have sacrificed much to build up their community.  This is probably irrational of me since it is the way of the global economy and will likely be the only way business can compete in the future, as big corporations swallow up more and more locals and become more involved in the niche businesses that locals have turned too.  It is difficult for me to understand why so many clamor for U. N. control of the world, which will surely lead to an absolute global economy, but protest businesses like Wal Mart.  Just doesn't make sense to me.

Wal Mart, and other big corporations, force taxpayers to subsidise their employees through medical insurance, since they do not provide adequate coverage for their employees and do not pay enough to allow them to acquire their own.  At the end of every business day, these corporations deposit huge sums of money, extracted from the local economy, into accounts with headquarters overseas, or far from the area, draining money from the local economy that may be better used to promote business locally.

There are other reasons why I like/dislike companies like Wal Mart but I am sure they have all been covered here in this forum before, by others who have given much more thought to it than I.  I shop at Wal Mart, even though I have my reservations about it.  Guess that makes me a hypocrite but I suppose most of those who rail on against them also shop there from time to time.

It is a tough question and I would probably not protest against Wal Mart in my area but still have to admit I have respect for those who do.  In the end, I believe it is a loosing battle since the global economy is rapidly consuming the retail business from any local control.

Take care..

Dick S