[Vision2020] Crosswalks near Wendys & in general

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 30 11:14:26 PDT 2006

Bill,

I think you're presenting somewhat of a red herring. The need for improved pedestrian access across Hwy 8 would still exist, regardless of the land use on A Street. To wit, hundreds of students live in UI housing on the south side of Hwy 8 and partronize businesses on the north side (and presumably would have patronized businesses along a commercially-zoned A Street). At least some of those students (and other non-students) cross Hwy 8 on foot.

Although none of the data I have seen breaks down the number of pedestrian crossings of Hwy 8 by students, residents of A Street, nor purpose for crossing the street, I suspect you are correct that residential use of A Street has exacerbated the problem. However, I believe the problem would exist regardless.

For me, more of the blame goes to the Idaho Transportation Department, who controls the Hwy 8 corridor, for placing more emphasis on accommodating motorized traffic than pedestrian traffic. (And I suppose the bottom line is ITD is only reflecting society's current preferences, so I guess we should be blaming ourselves.)

Philip Cook
Moscow