[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter for June 30, 2006

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jun 30 05:30:11 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter for June 30, 2006 from UI
President White.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends June 30, 2006

Dear Friends,

I am delighted to share with you another significant announcement.
Nationally renowned jazz musician John Clayton joins the University of Idaho
as the new artistic director of the Lionel Hampton International Jazz
Festival. John is no stranger to the University; he has consistently
performed at the festival for the last 10 years and understands the
festival's impact on the lives of young musicians and jazz supporters.

John is a six-time Grammy-nominated bassist, composer, arranger and
conductor. His expertise and talent, along with his contacts and friendships
in the jazz world, will ensure the festival continues to realize Lionel
Hampton's dream - to invest in the education of future generations in order
to perpetuate jazz as an art form.

Joining John in heading up the festival will be Cami McClure, our current
director of conference services and community programs. She will serve as
interim executive director and will handle the festival's day-to-day
business affairs. John and Cami will replace Lynn J. "Doc" Skinner, who
served as executive director of the Lionel Hampton International Jazz
Festival for 35 years. Skinner officially retires today, but will continue
to serve as a part-time consultant this year, and we will dedicate the 2007
jazz festival as a celebration of Doc's four decades of service to the
community, jazz and the arts.

To quote Doc, "The future of the festival is in good hands."

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

The Alumni Association is hosting three Take Me Out to the Ballpark events
in July. Alumni and friends will gather for minor league baseball July 17 in
Tacoma, Wash., July 20 in Yakima, Wash., and July 21 in Pasco, Wash. For
more information, go to www.idahovandals.com.

Vandal Athletics is hosting a Vandal Cruise on Lake Coeur d'Alene July 15.
The boat will begin boarding from Independence Point at 6:30 p.m. and will
return at 10. Join Idaho coaches and other Vandals to help kick-off the
2006-07 season of Vandal Athletics. Tickets are on sale for $35 each. For
more information please call (208) 641-0933.

Native Nebraskans Hervon and Pearl Snider came to Moscow and the University
of Idaho in 1949. It was a job at the University of Idaho that propelled the
Sniders to make the move halfway across the country.
Hevron, a World War II veteran, had just finished his master's and doctoral
degrees at the University of Nebraska, and was looking for work and the
University of Idaho had the right job opening.  Hervon began teaching in the
Department of Education and served as director of Student Teaching. In 1961,
he became head of the Department of Education. He remained in the position
until his retirement in 1974.

The Sniders had one daughter, Linda. When Linda entered kindergarten, Pearl
substitute taught and then accepted a teaching job at Moscow Junior High
School. She retired from teaching in 1973. Pearl and Linda established a
teacher education scholarship endowment to honor their late husband and
father.  "We feel we ought to give something back,"
said Pearl. "My daughter and I decided that's what we should do."
Pearl and Linda established the Hervon L. and Pearl R. Snider Teacher
Education Scholarship Endowment with a $100,000 gift to the University.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

Work like you don't need the money.
Love like you've never been hurt.