[Vision2020] Crosswalks near Wendys & in general

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Thu Jun 29 16:49:54 PDT 2006

> From: cynthia nichols <cynthiann0 at mac.com>
> Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Crosswalks near Wendys & in general

> There are very inventive methods nowadays of making crosswalks easier
> to see, especially when people are using them. In Redwood City, CA,
> there's a crosswalk that has a button for the pedestrian to push.
> There are raised lights (like the bots dots in highways) embedded in
> the roadway that blink when the button is pushed. It is very clear
> when they are blinking that someone is walking across the street.
> Seems like a small investment to save lives.
>
> cynthia nichols

Cynthia,

FYI, from January 17, 2006 Moscow City Council meeting minutes:

"Dickinson moved to approve Resolution for installation of In Roadway Lights to Improve Crosswalk Visibility within the City limits for the Lieuallen crossing at State Hwy 8 and Mountain View at D Street. He asked about including Peterson. MacDonald said it would be difficult to get the approval for Peterson. He said going up to a third set, it probably wouldn’t make much of a difference. Ament asked if D and Mountain View could be dropped from the list if the four-way stop was addressed. MacDonald said the application schedule is such that the application is due by January 31, 2006.

"Ament moved to include a lighted crosswalk at Peterson and Stout seconded. Ayes: Unanimous. Nays: None. Abstentions: None. Motion carried.

"Original Motion: Roll Call Vote: Ayes: Unanimous. Nays: None. Abstentions: None. Motion carried to adopt Resolution 2006-03."

I don't know the status of the grant request to ITD, but if it's funded we'll see in-ground crosswalk lighting as you describe.

Philip Cook
Moscow