[Vision2020] RE: The Immorality of Blocking a Supercenter

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Wed Jun 28 15:05:48 PDT 2006

Donovan,

I'll echo John Dickinson's comments about the substance of the rezone
proceedings. Yes, we all knew that WalMart was part of the picture,
but it was outside the framework of the rezone proceeding to discuss
any particular retailer. The discussion and decision were about
whether that 77-acre parcel should be developed as Motor Business.
While we (NoSuperWalmart) were fully prepared to have a full
discussion about Walmart itself, that forum was not the appropriate
place.

As for your letter to Council, many of your factual assertions about
Walmart are misleading or incomplete.

I have tried to verify your claim that Walmart has a starting wage of
$8 to $9, but I can't find any information to verify those numbers.
http://www.pbs.org/itvs/storewars/stores3.html

  In any event, starting wage is not really an appropriate measure of
whether a company provides the type of employment Moscow wants or
needs.  You also have to look at benefits, and as you know Walmart's
benefits have been criticized all over the country, including by
Republicans in Idaho's state house.  You have to look at whether the
job provides enough hours to bring home meaningful wage.  Walmart
considered full-time work to be 32 hours per week, and has announced
plans to provide substantially fewer hours to workers by shifting to
a part-time (fewer than 28 hour) workforce.  You also have to look at
the ability to advance in the job over time.  According to the PBS
documentary on Frontline, "Wal-Mart employees start at the same
salary as unionized employees in similar lines of work, they make 25
percent less than their unionized counterparts after two years at the
job."  In fact, a corporate communication released last October
actually complained that workers who remain with the company for
seven years are a drain on its resources.

In Moscow, we need jobs that will allow residents to work enough to
support their families and advance through hard work and experience.
Walmart does not provide those types of jobs.  And Walmart is likely
to hurt businesses that do provide real full time employment and
benefits to workers.  If you fairly consider the issue of jobs and
employment, you are likely to find that Walmart would be bad, not
good for Moscow.

And that does not even take into account the workers in American
manufacturing who have lost their livelihood as a result of Walmart,
or the workers in developing company who toil in sweatshops to make
the stuff that Walmart sells.   (Morality doesn't really stop at the
County line, does it?)

Your claim that Walmart helps the elderly and minorities has no
support and is contrary to documented evidence.  In fact, an internal
Walmart document released last October shows that the company is
focusing on hiring young and able workers precisely so that they can
avoid health and other expenses.  The memo, written by WalMart's
executive vice president, proposes that the company take steps to
discourage unhealthy job applicants, by making sure that "all jobs to
include some physical activity."
<http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/27/BUG3JFEL7F1.DTL>http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/10/27/BUG3JFEL7F1.DTL

Walmarts' record with regard to diversity and equal rights is not
good either.  There are class action law suits by Wal-Mart workers
alleging discrimination based on gender and race all over the county.
There are charges that Walmart engaged in racial profiling against
its customers after suspicious incidents in several states.   If you
consider racism, sexism and ageism to be immoral, then you should be
glad that Walmart has chosen not to build a super center in our town.
<http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/02/Tampabay/Racial_profiling_fear.shtml>http://www.sptimes.com/2005/12/02/Tampabay/Racial_profiling_fear.shtml

Mark S.