[Vision2020] Re: Parking Downtown Moscow

Craine Kit kcraine at verizon.net
Wed Jun 28 13:40:00 PDT 2006

On Jun 27, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Nils Peterson wrote:

> Maybe others who attended the meeting can clarify, but my
> recollection is:
> 1. Beebe indicated he had a buyer for the two white grain elevators
> (6th &
> Jackson, 8th & Jackson) and, that the buyer put a contingency on
> the sale
> where Beebe was obligated to get the CBD zone, because it does not
> have an
> off-street parking requirement. He indicated that any additional
> requirements were a deal breaker for his buyer.

This is one of the major flaws in our so-called planning and zoning
system. Rather than acknowledging an area is moving towards
redevelopment and deciding what to do with it regardless of
ownership, Moscow waits until the sale of a specific parcel is
dependent on a rezone. A failure to rezone deprives someone of the
assumed property "right" to maximize their profit from the sale.
Perhaps everyone would be better off if the City adopted the
conventional meaning of "planning."

Kit Craine