[Vision2020] Bring Costco to Moscow Was: The Immorality of Blocking a Supercenter

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 28 04:15:29 PDT 2006

Chas,

 I would be in favor of a Costco coming to Moscow if  they wanted to come here. However, it is not just about a Supercenter  or Costco, it is about being so regulatory that no business wants or  can afford to come here. Businesses cannot afford to come to Moscow,  the regulations are so restrictive and the heavy fire they get from a  small group of people that look only for the bad things would keep them  out. The only reason Moscow doesn't look so bad all the time is because  Pullman is just as anti business. There is a reason why Costco is in  Lewiston and not Moscow already. We just have to keep shopping  elsewhere until we can get a City government willing to allow business  to be conducted inside the city limits of Moscow.

  Best,

  _DJA

Chasuk <chasuk at gmail.com> wrote:  On 6/27/06, Donovan Arnold  wrote:

> Dear Mayor Chaney and members of the City Council,

I am writing you regarding the recent decision of the City to block a
Wal-Mart Supercenter. I believe that I have a solution which will
satisfy the majority of the residents of Moscow and the surrounding
community, but particularly Donovan Arnold and Mr. Crabtree.

Briefly: campaign for a Costco.  Costco pays a higher hourly wage, and
provides better medical coverage.  This should supply a "more
interesting way of using the entire property," and counter all of
Donovan's objections.  It might even make Mr. Crabtree happy.  It
would certainly make my wife happy, as she would no longer have to
drive all of the way to Lewiston to buy affordable cat litter and
toilet paper.

I might be sounding flippant, but I am actually quite serious.  I am
sure that many Moscovites would welcome a Costco.  I see Costco
appealing to the Wal-Mart haters, the Wal-Mart fans, and the Costco
fans; this means that we would have a positive overlap.

Is anyone interested in forming a Bring Costco to Moscow committee
(that even has an appealing assonance!)?  It is beyond my
capabilities, but perhaps the more ardent go-getters of the
anti-Wal-Mart brigade could regroup for this purpose.

Cheers,

Chas

--
http://emmagoldman.wordpress.com/

"Aren't people absurd! They never use the freedoms they do have, but
demand those they don't have; they have freedom of thought, they
demand freedom of speech." -- Søren Kierkegaard

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com