[Vision2020] Another short-sighted, developer-pushed project to maximize short-term profits notwithstanding the existing plan

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Tue Jun 27 23:33:19 PDT 2006

Nils, I will not be there, as I have other commitments, but I agree
wholeheartedly that the Davis/Von Wandruszka PUD plan is a fine one and an
example of Smart Growth principles being applied wisely.   I hope that many
people will be there to support the project with you.  I have yet to find
one MCA member or board member that is not in favor of the project. The City
has been wrong to delay this project, and it ought to move forward.

The Davis/Von Wandruszka project preserves open space and creatively places
the residences in ways that do not lead to greater density than would
otherwise be allowed under the existing zoning code, while fitting in well
with its neighbors, and indeed having obtained the support of the neighbors,
including PCEI and others.

To cross reference this to our earlier discussion, many, probably most,
myself included, would support the redevelopment of the grain elevators on
the edge of downtown.  Simply asking questions about "where's the parking"
is wise planning, rather than blindly re-zoning the property and eliminating
parking requirements, only to discover parking problems later.  Asking these
questions need not be divisive, and the questions ought not be thought to be
out-of-place or irrelevant.  Other experiences have demonstrated that
parking is an issue downtown, and it is an issue from there to the
University.  Ignoring real parking concerns so that we can be "pro growth no
matter the costs" by giving the developer everything he or she requests is
unwise and foolish.

Suggesting that the profit motive of a developer occasionally leads to
re-zoning requests that are not good planning is not akin to suggesting that
all developers are evil or that all growth is bad.  Personally, I support
more, not less industrial land, for light manufacturing industry and the
jobs they bring.  And I support connected, well planned subdivisions that
maintain a grid that connects walkable neighborhoods.  A developer might
want to save money by  eliminating sidewalks; I think that is generally a
bad idea.  Does that make the developer evil for proposing the idea?
Clearly not.  But it is stupid to give the developer everything they ask, if
some of what is requested is not good planning and is not in line with the
requirements of the City Code or Land Use Ordinance.

Nobody has said all developers are evil, or that all growth is bad.  Is
there some insight that can be gained from your sarcastic "evil developer"
comments?  You wouldn't be "polarizing" Vision2020 now, would you?

Bruce Livingston