[Vision2020] Re: Parking Downtown Moscow

Philip Cook pcook818 at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 27 14:57:40 PDT 2006

For a thought-provoking analysis, I suggest reading "The High Cost of Free Parking" by Don Shoup (many reviews, interviews, etc. on the web). His analysis challenges much of the conventional wisdom about off-street parking requirements. Although I'm not sure his solutions are practical, particularly in a town the size of Moscow, his analysis does cause one to question basic assumptions about providing parking. Our 20th century zoning model is outdated; we need to create an improved one for the 21st century.

Philip Cook
Moscow