[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Jun 27 10:57:58 PDT 2006

Joe,

Being a content kirker can be very very comfortable.  I was just thinking
yesterday how nice it really would have been if my small community really
was the reformational, visionary, God-beloved special thing it claimed to
be.  When God is on your side, and you are the elite, you can afford to
snoot at the broader society.  You also don't have to worry about grappling
with intellectual and social problems out in the world much, since the
leadership you trust presents themselves as having it all figured out.

Michael

rincess,

You keep saying how clear and obvious everything is, insulting those who
disagree with you as being sophists and idiots. That is why there is so much
disagreement on these issues: Everyone other than you is either a sophist or
an idiot.

This is a very convenient world-view! It doesn't produce much interesting
dialogue but I'm sure it provides you with a great deal of comfort.

--

Joe Campbell

---- Taro Tanaka <taro_tanaka at hotmail.com> wrote:

=============

Herein lies the beauty of being a philosopher! You can tke your sophistry to
a more sophisticated level. Of course, any philosopher worth his soph can
translate Greek by himself, so have at it:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%206%20;
<http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John%206%20;&version=69>
&version=69;

Or choose any one of the other 35 translations available there.

If that still doesn't make the point clear, check with any major
confessional statement or catechism (e.g., the Westminster Confession of
Faith or Westminster Larger Catechism), or major commentators in the
Protestant, Roman Catholic, or Eastern Orthodox traditions.

http://www.reformed.org/documents/wcf_with_proofs/

http://www.reformed.org/documents/wlc_w_proofs/

http://www.ccel.org/fathers2/

http://eword.gospelcom.net/comments/

http://www.ccel.org/c/calvin/comment3/comm_index.htm

I'll be frank: the point under consideration is only "controversial" among
ignorami.

-- Princess Sushitushi

Joe Campbell <joekc at adelphia.net> writes:

>Herein lies the beauty of fundamentalism! . . .  To get that support

>you have to add, not merely the Bible's words, but any one of a variety

>of rules of translation that you learned from your pastor, your

>parents, or any one of a number of contemporary authors. Literal

>translation of the Bible, or any other text, is a myth.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,

               http://www.fsr.net <http://www.fsr.net/>

          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

 List services made available by First Step Internet,