[Vision2020] answering g. crabtree

Deacon James deaconjames at verizon.net
Mon Jun 26 23:54:54 PDT 2006

Tom Hansen,

The A's have been playing uncharacteristically well for this time of year; normally they don't start going on a tear until a week or two after the All-Star Break. My guess is that they will taper off a month early as well. They have clearly been overacheiving. But, hey, even if they do make the playoffs, they'll just get beat in the first round, so that's of some comfort to this M's fan.

Oscar Charleston was certainly an incredible baseball player, beloved of both fans and players. I have no doubt that he would have put up incredible numbers in the majors, but, regretably, we will never know just how well the Negro Leaguers would have compared. The level of competition, the quality and measurements of the fields, poor/non-existant/inconsistent scoring, and more all contributed to the poor collection of Negro League statistics that we have.

That said, I would still say that Charleston is one of the top ten -- maybe top five -- greatest players in the history of the game. And heck, I don't even know if he was Protestant...

Take care,