[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 26 16:52:34 PDT 2006

Dear Joe,

If all we're talking about is philosophical constructs, then I would have to
agree with you, more or less. "Whatever floats your boat" and all that stuf:
a double bladed Occam's razor is as good as a triple. But if we are talking
about a Creator God who is simultaneously transcendent and immanent, who is
in the fullest sense of the word a personal being, then it's a whole
different ball game. I submit that the existence of God can only be proven
to people whom God has predisposed to accept such proof. The Bible says as
much, and it does so repeately.

"He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not
see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and
I should heal them." (The Gospel according to John)

And yet the Bible also says:

". . . that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath
shewed it unto them. For the invisible things of him from the creation of
the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made,
even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse."

If the God of the Bible exists, then we have people who are predestined to
destruction, such as the Pharoah of Moses' day, or Judas Iscaariot, and yet
at the same time those people can, and are, held culpable for their sins.

This sort of thing has been a stumbling block to many people throughout
history, and no doubt that is exactly as God intended it should be.

-- Princess Sushitushi