[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Taro Tanaka taro_tanaka at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 25 14:32:14 PDT 2006

ACS writes: [[ Christ Church subscribes to the most inflexible sort of
Calvinism: they believe that no human effort whatsoever can cause a person
to be saved. They also believe, quite strictly, in predestination. ]]

PS corrects: CC believes that no human effort whatsoever can cause a person
to be saved APART FROM THE GRACE OF GOD. CC also believes that human agency
is required. Saul of Tarsus was saved directly through a confrontation with
Jesus. That is the only example which comes to mind of a person being saved
apart from human agency. Even there, however, it should be remembered that
Jesus is a human being, so even that case is not truly an exception. Even if
someone gets saved by reading a Bible that they found in their hotel room,
somebody printed those Bibles and placed them in that hotel room. So people
are not saved apart from human effort. However, all the human effort in the
world will be for naught if the Holy Spirit does not work in a person's
heart to give them the ability to believe.

ACS writes: [[ They do not believe in any sort of free will whatsoever. ]]

PS corrects: Actually, only what you label Calvinism (but which is more
properly labeled a biblical worldview) is able to account for free will. It
is in fact people who believe in a purely mechanical universe (i.e.,
Darwinian evolutionists) who cannot account for free will. From that
perspective, the universe and all that it contains are reduced to the
products of pure random chance: what we deceive ourselves into believing to
be free-will decisions are in fact explainable entirely as the result of
biochemical reactions which themselves are taking place as the result of a
long, vast series of random chance occurrences. Anything which ultimately
derives from pure random chance is ultimately meaningless: after all, it is
the result of pure random chance. In other words, according to this
perspective, everything is mechanically determined and ultimately derived
from pure random chance. "Free will" becomes quite impossible in such a
mechanically deterministic universe.

The biblical perspective recognizes that there is no genuine contradiction
between God's sovereign predestination and man's free will. God is a God who
knows all possible contingencies. From our human perspective, the number of
actors and actions throughout history might as well be infinite, although
they are not infinite, strictly speaking. If we throw in the additional
dimension of complexity of all the alternate scenarios that could, logically
speaking, have been possible, then everything becomes "infinitely" more
complex still. Only an omnisicent God could know all the alternate
possibilities, and in fact, He does. Yet out of all those scenarios, only
one scenario has occurred. Furthermore, we confess (because the Bible tells
us so) that history is not being pushed from behind so much as pulled
inexorably toward a predetermined conclusion. Yet within this framework,
there is still free will for man, at least to the extent that God can justly
hold each of us fully responsible for our decisions. If you want to insist
that the biblical worldview, which recognizes God's sovereign providence and
predestination over all things, makes free will impossible to maintain, I
remind you that the contrary perspective, which replaces God with
mechanistic determinism and random chance, does not give one free will
either: your decisions are the results of your hormones, which are a cosmic
accident.

ACS writes: [[ What the Church can compel people to do is behave in an
outward manner
that conforms with Christian. ]]

PS corrects: The only method of compulsion that the Church has is the threat
of excommunication. And the Church has exactly ZERO power to compel people
outside the Church to do anything.

-- Princess Sushitushi