[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Sun Jun 25 07:35:22 PDT 2006

Gary,

I think that Keely and Michael and J Ford have answered many of your questions. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say in response, and how it is that you think you know more about the Kirk than these three -- all of whom are Christians and two of whom are former members of the Kirk. It is getting increasingly difficult for you to suggest that criticisms of CC are the result of an attitude of religious intolerance.

I just wanted to make it clear that my criticisms of Wilson and others are not merely a result of my disagreement with their beliefs. Yes, I have fundamental disagreements with those beliefs but that is not why I speak out against Wilson and others. If “the Roman Catholics, the Latter-Day Saints, the Christian Scientists, the Baptists or any other of a number of other religious groups in the area” argued that slavery is OK or hurled daily insults at gays and lesbians or regularly offended and ridiculed liberals, then I would speak out against them, too. Try to find one post of mine on Vision 2020, one letter to the Daily News, that is not a response to something said by Wilson, Iverson, Courtney, Princess, etc. You can’t do it. I’m not attacking anyone. I’m merely reacting.

Anyone can believe anything that they want. If people remain silent in those beliefs, then they won’t get any criticism from me. People also have the right to express their opinions if they wish. And I have the right to comment on those opinions, as well. If the folks at CC do not want to hear criticisms, then they should tell Wilson and others to keep quiet. If they want folks to act respectful toward them and respect their different beliefs, then they should tell Wilson and others to do the same.

Mind you, I do try to treat everyone with respect regardless of how they treat me but I’m far from perfect on this score, as you well know. Toward this end I’m trying to separate my criticisms of Wilson and others from my criticisms of the CC congregation.

Lastly, I find it odd that you speak out against “the vitriol and invective that is hurled against” CC yet not the “vitriol and invective” that Wilson and others hurl at their critics. What accounts for this bit of hypocrisy on your part?

--
Joe Campbell

---- "g. crabtree" <jampot at adelphia.net> wrote:

=============
Joe defiantly states " A better explanation is that there is more to the
story than Gary suggests."
OK! Have at it then. What specifically is it about this group of people that
elicits the level of criticism displayed here. How are they a danger to
freedom of religion in Moscow? In what way are they a detriment to the
enjoyment of life in our fair city? Why is Christ Church solely taken to
task for philosophy's that could be laid equally at the doors of any number
of other denominations? The fact that the group of detractors is diverse in
no way explains what it is that makes your target unique. I am not going to
argue any particular point of doctrine for Mr. Wilson and his congregation.
As a nonmember, I would be quite unqualified, but as a community member and
neighbor, I do feel a small need to challenge the blind assertions that this
group is somehow evil or deserving of the vitriol and invective that is
hurled against it on this forum. In your explanation, please include for us
why any point that you care to make can be only said of C.C. and not leveled
against the Roman Catholics, the Latter-Day Saints, the Christian
Scientists, the Baptists or any other of a  number of other religious groups
in the area. If you can't come up with something totally unique to Pastor
Wilson and Co., please explain why you don't attack these other groups with
the same fervor and ferocity that you reserve for them. I anxiously await
your explanation.

Sincerely,
G. Crabtree