[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Sat Jun 24 20:27:00 PDT 2006

Paul,

I would concur with Joe's criticism of, and his agreement with, this answer
from Gary Crabtree - it is not clear how inconsistent Gary Crabtree's point
of view is with mine in terms of what we have both communicated today
outside of what Joe has already noted.  Perhaps it would have also been good
to point out that Crabtree and Donovan (sp?) comprise another unique
perspective and method to all of this.  They are two brave souls that have
the ability to swim in a different direction from the rest of the fish;
however, some of us have grown concerned that they are determined to swim in
the opposite direction no matter what.  Whereas some around here want to
critique and defend all named individuals in this discussion according to
the merits of any particular case (e.g. Joe, Chas, Rose, etc) Donovan and
Crabtree have taken on the task of defending Wilson and Christ Church
against any possible criticism - as far as I can tell; and it is not clear
they really want to take this discussion forum seriously to begin with
(Donovan calls this list derogatory names while posting).  This is a noble
goal perhaps, but one that often requires a second opinion.in my opinion :
-)  They do help keep us all humble, but for the kirkers.  It was after all
just today that the gospel-preaching kirker Princess just told a gentle and
kind, white-haired professor (in a game of subterfuge once this professor
made a good point about the theology of the Kirk): "You'd be declared
mentally incompetent to stand trial."    Wow, now there's some language
"seasoned with grace."  I'm sure the professor is very relieved that the
Kirk-Christians would not put him to death since they would first declare
him mentally insane.

Michael Metzler

Mr. Rumelhart, allow me to offer up a slightly different perspective. I am
not and never have been a member of Christ Church and am in no way beholding
to them. I have lived in this community for over four decades, back when the
only Wilson I was personally aware of was the pediatrician who introduced me
to the peculiar and startling convention of "turn your head and cough." Like
Joe, I agree with some of their views and not others. I believe that like
almost all other religions, C.C. believes that it has a handle on the truth
and would very much like to share it with as many members of the community
as possible. Not out of malice or a desire for conquest but rather the
desire to gift others with something that they think is exciting and
wonderful. I have dealt with many members of this congregation, including
those that have been deemed "insiders" by others on this list, over the last
few years and have found most all of them to be pleasant people who have
never  tried to "push their views" on me in any way despite the many
opportunities they might have had. They have never shown up on my door step
unannounced or arrived at my place of business with pamphlets in hand,
unlike some other denominations which also share our little berg. They have,
on the few occasions that I have asked, answered questions I've put to them
directly and politely. What you witness on vision 2020 is more then a little
strange. You see a group of a couple dozen, mostly rational (with a few
glaring exceptions) people who have for reasons not clearly explained,
singled out this faith community for "special" attention. Even when I have
sat down for face to face discussion with some of these folks I have not
received a clear or compelling answer as to why the animus for Wilson and
friends and not other groups which hold similar worldviews. I believe that
were you to make your inquiry's out in the general populace of Moscow you
would not find the level of hostility that you see exhibited here.

Regards,

G. Crabtree

P.S Welcome to Moscow. Aside from this forum, it's a friendly place to
reside.