[Vision2020] Christ Church and freedom of religion

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 23:00:08 PDT 2006

I am new here, so forgive my questions.  I've read a bit on this list of
the back-and-forth postings concerning this one church and it's left me
confused.  I've read the article in the Blot about the church, as well.
I should also mention that one of my closest friends is a member of the
church, even though we rarely if ever agree on theology.

What it all boils down to for me is this one simple question:  Does the
leadership of Christ Church respect freedom of religion?  Are they
pushing some kind of agenda to make over Moscow into a Christian-only area?

The rest of the discussions don't interest me, for the most part.  My
theological views are pretty much orthogonal to those of Christ Church
members as I understand them, so it's pointless for me to debate about
them.  I could care less if they serve alcohol at Trinity Fest, I'll
leave that to the people whose job it is to make those decisions.  The
submission of women topic doesn't bother me because the women of that
church don't seem to have any problems with it.  I don't even really
care about the whole Sitler thing because there are so many
inconsistencies between both versions of events that I'll probably never
know what really happened or who should have done what when.

If we freedom-loving people of Moscow practice what we preach, then why
be up in arms about their views?  Why worry if they are successful?
More power to them.

However, if they are truly trying to stifle freedom of religion in
others here in the community then I will be worried.

Members of Christ Church: Do you wish to rework Moscow into a Christ
Church-derived paradise?  Or do you believe fully in Free Will?

Opponents of Christ Church: Do you believe that Freedom of Religion
trumps your own personal views of their theology?  Are you willing to
live and let live if they truly wish not to push their views on others?

Paul

If I'm being presumptious here, I'm sorry.  I came here hoping for
reasoned debate and see mostly mud-slinging and name-calling by both sides.