[Vision2020] no superwalmart and water

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Jun 22 08:59:08 PDT 2006

Jeff:

I've heard this argument from you (and now Kirkland) before and it
doesn't hold water. First, water indeed does fall on all surfaces in
the county but to argue that it is somehow available for use is just
wrong. We do not live in a slick rock desert where most of the precip
runs off. We have plants, including a lot of crops, forests and
pasture lands. It is estimated by UI scientists that over 80% of the
precip that hits the ground is utilized or evapo-transpirated by
plants. Most of the rest finds it's way into the creeks with a very
tiny percentage estimated to actually recharge to groundwater. I'll
point out the obvious: if we had  so much extra water here maybe we'd
have lakes and rivers, too. Instead we have the famous words of
Weyerhauser upon being asked by a local reporter back in 1901 where
he was going to locate his new sawmill, Potlatch or Moscow. He said,
"There's not enough water in Moscow to baptize a bastard." Nothing
has changed to improve that assessment in the intervening 105 years.

Are you seriously suggesting that we should dry up the most
productive wheat farms in the world and the area streams so we can
have a WalMart? You're a reasonable person so I don't think that is
what you are recommending. So why throw out these numbers divorced
from reality?

As I've posted previously, the tipping point, based on past aquifer
performance recorded in actual data, is likely to occur within 15-20
years not 100 as you "conservatively" state. The reality is Moscow
now draws 30% of it's water from the upper Wanapum aquifer. Moscow
just about dried out the Wanapum by pumping about that same amount of
water in the period from 1920-1960. The Wanapum recovered in the
largely non-pumping period from 1960-1990 after Moscow drilled into
the deep aquifer for its replacement supply. Actual well data is now
showing declines in Wanapum static water levels closely following the
data curve from the earlier period. We're at about the 1940 point on
the curve. That leaves us 20 years before the Wanapum wells go dry
unless we do something now.

Large infrastructure projects such as reservoirs, rainwater
collection (and the treatment plants that go along with them) take a
lot of time to design, finance and construct. The time to start is
now and throwing out red herrings "we don't have a water supply
problem" only delay the political/community consensus needed to begin
such a large and expensive undertaking.

Mark S.