[Vision2020] called up from the minors

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Jun 20 16:51:48 PDT 2006

Referring to Michael's comment to Andreas that if submission is a priori
immoral to someone, it then constitutes a logical argument against
Christianity:

I am not a "Biblical utilitarian," that is, someone who wants to conform the
Bible to a particular view of culture or practice in the desperate -- and
vain -- hope that more souls will be won.  The truth of Scripture will, I
believe, not only stand on its own virtue but is also a far more effective
means of societal and individual transformation than my desperate attempts
to mold it into something that seemingly would help the process along.

That said, Michael makes the above point at the risk not only of elevating a
secondary issue (individual interpretations of Biblical submission and its
execution) to primary status as an essential of Christian doctrine, but in
doing so also erects a stumbling block to the faith that isn't necessary --
that "women submitting to men," in its role as a "primary" doctrine, brings
about the kind of repugnance to many that will cause them to forego an
interest in discovering Christ for themselves.  After all, if Jesus is
portrayed as a sexist, however benignly, and if Christian culture is ripe
with examples of male domination and abuse, I'd run, too.  So would anyone
with a gut-check and heart conviction against patriarchal rule -- which is
why so many people ignore Christ when it's Christians and Christiandom who
cause them problems.

keely