[Vision2020] Submission

Michael metzler at moscow.com
Tue Jun 20 13:22:22 PDT 2006

Thanks Scimitar.  It is important to note that we have not gotten much work
done in defining the unique, Christian understanding of submission; so far
I've kept it mostly to an abstract point:  exegetically, there is a level or
kind of submission unique to the wife within the institution of marriage.
So far we have not said much about what this submission looks like or what
the role of the husband is with respect to this submission.  Jesus did not
abolish the idea of submission to the rule of the State, but he did say that
any form of Christian leader was not to do as the gentiles, who rule over
their subjects, but to serve in love. We see a similar transformation of the
institution of marriage.

Michael

"...giving honor unto the wife,..." (I Peter 3:7).
"Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave
Himself for it;..." (Ephesians 5:25).
"Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God" (Ephesians 5:21).

When husbands are obedient to these commands, it would seem a kind and good
person should find little difficulty in her part and command of submission.

<Scimitar>