[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter (June 16, 2006)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jun 16 05:33:24 PDT 2006

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for June 16, 2006.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends June 16, 2006

Dear Friends,

I always enjoy hearing from University of Idaho alumni and friends who renew
their connection to this great institution. Recently, I received a wonderful
e-mail that made me very proud, and I thank Dean and Julia Langley for
agreeing to let me share their message with you.

Subject: A word of thanks for the Vandaleers in Ireland

Vandal greetings from Ireland. We thought you might appreciate some praise
for your student Vandals on a job very well done. This past Friday, June 2,
we were treated to an awesome 40-minute performance by the Vandaleers here
in Dublin at St. Patrick's Cathedral. The program contained an impressive
variety of vocal numbers that were well chosen and extremely well done.

My wife and I are working on long term assignment here in Ireland, and as we
have been away from the U.S. for nearly a year now, it was great to have
this reminder of our UI roots! Our sincere thanks for allowing the
Vandaleers to tour in Ireland, and our appreciation as well for the Idaho
faculty and staff who facilitated these Vandal ambassadors to the Emerald
Isle.

Sincerely,
Dean '75, '87 and Julia (Kindall) '75 Langley

Rager Moore, director of the Vandaleers, reports that the entire tour seemed
to have a profound effect on the students, musically, politically, socially
and emotionally. My congratulations to the Vandaleers on their successful
tour and thank you to the generous donors who helped provide this
performance and learning experience for our students.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Some 643 Idaho FFA students celebrated the 75th anniversary of the statewide
organization on the University of Idaho campus last week. The high school
students participated in seven career development events largely focused on
agriculture and in a demonstration event focused on the environment. The
event has been held on the Idaho campus at Moscow for most of the
organization's history in the state. The program's main focus is to
encourage high school students to think about possible careers.
Statistics show proportionately more FFA students go on to college than
Idaho high school students in general.

Malcolm '32, '34 and Carol '35 Renfrew will receive the Alumni Association's
Distinguished Idahoan Award at a public reception Sunday, June 25 from 3-5
p.m. at the University Inn-Best Western. Created in 1978, the award
recognizes individuals who have brought distinction to the state and the
University of Idaho. Malcolm earned his bachelor's and master's degrees in
chemistry from the University of Idaho and Carol received a bachelor's
degree in economics. Malcolm worked at E.I. DuPont de Nemours, Inc., where
he gained recognition for his involvement in the creation of Teflon. He was
the co-inventor of an epoxy resin that is used as a base for paints by the
U.S. Navy.
In 1959, he returned to the University as department head of physical
sciences, and later, the department head of chemistry. He returned to
teaching in 1973 until his retirement in 1976. Carol is a former president
of the University of Idaho Library Associates and a member of the Phi Beta
Kappa chapter. She also has served on numerous community groups and boards
in the Moscow area. To attend, RSVP Nancy Lyle at 885-6154 or e-mail
nancyl at uidaho.edu. There is no cost to attend. Deadline to RSVP is June 21.

John A. and Cyndee Church of Lewiston recently gave a leadership gift of
$100,000 to the University of Idaho to support programs and special
projects. It is a transformational and visionary gift for the future of
Idaho, and it demonstrates the continued support and growing enthusiasm of
alumni Vandal Pride. The Church family is another wonderful example of Idaho
alumni who are committed to giving to a college - in this case, the College
of Law; University programs to benefit students and colleges - the Vandal
Scholarship Fund; as well as facility projects - the Vandal Athletic Center.
To learn more about the Vandal Scholarship Fund, visit
www.vandalscholarshipfund.com.

Take care, Moscow (you, too, Vandals).

UI '96

Work like you don't need the money.