[Vision2020] Detainees in Despair

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 09:27:39 PDT 2006

>  You wrote:
>
>  "If we have evidence of crimes we should be prosecuting them in a court of
> law. If
>  we don't, then we don't actually know that they are terrorists and they
>  should be set free."
>
>  So you want to wait until after a suicide bomber commits his crime before
> confining him?

Long before a suicide bomber commits the crime of murder, he has
engaged in the crime of conspiracy, or providing material support to a
terrorist organization, or any number of crimes that don't require him
to have blown himself up in a public square. If we cannot prove beyond
a reasonable doubt that someone is a suicide bomber, and try him in
court, we have no business locking him up.

The fact that I have to be telling another American that we have to
prove a crime before locking someone away in perpetuity is just
another example of how far toward authoritarianism the discourse has
shifted since 9/11.

-- ACS