[Vision2020] Re: Trolly on old Railroad Tracks & P&Z hearing Wed nite

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jun 13 15:59:00 PDT 2006

Tom,

Following is my Town Crier column of last week
which goes into the Hawkins issue. To the best of
my knowledge, Hawkins has resubmitted a SEPA
application to Whitman County that is different
from the one they withdrew a month or so ago in
two respects only: some additional detail on
traffic and wetlands issues. Nothing on where the
water supply would come from.

Mark

Town Crier II, Mark Solomon

Just the other day I was working with my chainsaw
thinning and pruning my daily quarter-acre of
tangled cedar and grand firs in the draw below
our house when the sky suddenly went black.  I
hiked quickly to within sight of the house and
the sheet of rain approaching getting inside just
as the rain and hail came hammering down. A
torrent of water poured off the roof disappearing
quickly and quietly into the soft forest ground
where it will nourish the trees and feed the
streams and aquifers below.

On the ridges of Moscow Mountain the connections
between water, rocks, soil and life are naked,
exposed.  In town, one has to look beneath the
surface of things requiring a commitment most of
us don't have time to make.  We end up relying on
our leaders to educate themselves and make the
right decisions to balance the community's need
for new development and the availability of water
to support it.

Unfortunately, very little of this discussion has
been taking place in the forum created for it,
the Palouse Basin Aquifer Committee (PBAC), even
though it has been meeting monthly for over 15
years.  PBAC members appear to prefer process to
product.  The committee recently made the
decision NOT to discuss the effect a major
220-acre commercial development in the
Pullman/Moscow corridor would have on our
groundwater supply.  PBAC remains silent on the
now-under-construction WSU golf course and all
other major development proposals in the
Moscow/Pullman area.

Fortunately, not everyone is remaining silent on
proposed development and its effects on our
aquifers. Moscow citizens are speaking by
changing their lawn watering habits making last
year the first time in a decade that Moscow met
its PBAC Agreement pumping goals. The Palouse
Water Conservation Network (PWCN), in their
testimony to the Moscow City Council on the
Thompson rezone, presented an analysis they
termed the "unfunded water liability". PWCN
counted all the lots in Moscow that have already
been approved for development but not yet built
upon.  Using current city per capita water use
rates, they calculated that the City is committed
to providing another 140 million gallons of water
per year - a 17% increase over the volume pumped
in 2005 - when those lots are turned into homes
and businesses. Meeting that commitment will take
us well beyond the agreed to PBAC limit. The
Thompson rezone would have required another 62
million gallons per year.

Proponents of the east side commercial
development keep saying that if we don't allow
big boxes to be built there then they will be
built in Whitman County starting with the Hawkins
Companies proposal just across the state line.
What they fail to factor into their thinking is
the difficulty of securing water for that
development.

Washington State has had a de facto moratorium on
issuance of new water rights while they complete
a statewide assessment of their water resources.
Once that analysis is completed, sometime in the
next few years, there's a backlog of new water
right applications they estimate will take
another five to ten years to process.  The
Hawkins Companies could acquire and transfer an
existing water right, but there's a catch: the
water right in question has to draw from the same
"source" as the new diversion or well.

We know quite a lot about the nature and extent
of the groundwater "source" in the vicinity of
the Hawkins' proposed development.  The
Washington water rights database reveals that if
every existing commercial water right in the
source area, mostly in the corridor, were
acquired and transferred, Hawkins would be only
half way to meeting their water demand. Acquiring
and transferring all the water rights would
preclude any other development in the corridor.
They could collect the water that falls on the
development's roofs, build and pay for a huge
reservoir and a treatment plant but even that
would only net them less than half of what a
750,000 square foot retail development typically
requires.

Water and development. Development and water.
They are not mutually exclusive but they are
sequential. The water needs to be there first.
Seattle doubled its population over the past
three decades, but only by instituting an
intensive and effective citywide conservation
program. Seattle now uses less water, in total,
than they did twenty years ago. It can be done in
Moscow and Pullman, too, but it won't happen
until PBAC, our community's leaders, developers,
and citizens make connections and get real about
conservation.