[Vision2020] Cult Fantasy News Flash

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Jun 13 13:25:27 PDT 2006

I appreciate Douglas Hunter's wise comments below, as well as Joe's point
that we consider Doug Wilson separately from those unfortunate enough to be
shepherded by him.

I had coffee yesterday with five warm, intelligent, delightful women from
Christ Church.  They have every reason to presume that I am as bad and mean
as some have depicted me, and yet they've decided to do what mature women do
-- spend some time with me and find out for themselves.  And I am grateful
for the invitation extended, the warmth expressed, and the trust presumed; I
hope I reciprocated with the same warmth and trust.  I have absolutely
nothing against them and would welcome a friendship with any of them -- as
much as I grieve the bad theology they've embraced, or are willing to
endure,  and the hyper-patriarchal and hierarchical worldview it produces
that, I'm convinced, is as bad for men as it is for women.

But I would imagine they grieve, or are at least puzzled by, my Biblical
feminism, outspokenness against Doug Wilson, and my sharp theological
disagreements with Christ Church.  That's fair.  In fact, that's great.  I
only hope that we can discuss it more.  I have no doubt at all that it would
be a loving, reasonable, intelligent and stimulating discussion, because
these women, like most of the folks at Christ Church, are reasonable,
intelligent and sincere in their faith.  For every unloving Kirk man, many
of whom we're all acquainted with here, I know there are several more, men
and women, who love Christ and are willing to love me in His name.   I feel
the same way.

That doesn't negate my concern and anger about what I know of Wilson's world
and worldview.  In fact, it heightens it.  I love a good roll in the
theological hay of debate, but what's of real consequence is that real
people -- good people -- get hurt by bad theology and worse conduct.
Conscience compels me, then, to defend them and to defend the Gospel -- to
offer, with gentleness and respect, a reason for the hope that lies within
me; further paraphrasing 1 Peter 3:15, I might add that I hope to offer a
reason for the anger and concern that lies within me regarding the Kirk, and
I hope that I've done it with gentleness and respect to the sincere and
offered clear, truth-building rebuke when needed.

And so, I'd like to publicly thank my friend Heather Wilson and her
sister-in-law, Meredith Wilson, for a delightful morning yesterday.   (And
it wasn't just the delicious coffee cake and great coffee, either!)

keely