[Vision2020] Liberal Moscow (and Dear Ted)

Joan Opyr joanopyr at moscow.com
Tue Jun 13 11:55:27 PDT 2006

On Jun 12, 2006, at 11:21 PM, Ted Moffett wrote:

> All:
>
> Look in the mirror, chasuk at gmail.com!
>
> So chasuk at gmail.com thinks he has not engaged in conduct similar to
> trolls and flamers on Vision2020?  I disagree.  Everyone read the post
> from Chasuk at gmail.com forwarded below.
>
> While some Vision2020 participants represent viewpoints I disagree
> with vehemently, and I feel like attacking them with no restraint, the
> following post by chasuk at gmail.com should not, in my opinion, have
> been sent to this public list, regardless of how much he found his
> opponent offensive and/or morally corrupt.  Send this sort of crap
> privately, please!  Your post below does not contain one significant
> element of reasoning or fact, but solely aims to use derogatory
> language and images to vilify an opponent.  While I agree with chasuk
> at gmail.com that the person this post was aimed at has posted hate
> speech to this list (at least I think chasuk at gmail.com would agree
> with me on this point), this does not excuse returning hate for hate
> with no significant ideas or reasoning.

I have to admit, Ted, that your continued posts attacking Chasuk puzzle
me.  (And, yes, I use the word "attack" advisedly.)  Why focus on him?
You have wide selection of genuine trolls to reprimand, and yet you
choose to berate a man who will freely admit that he has quite often
lost his temper around here.  At this point, who hasn't?  Why ask
Chasuk to look in the mirror?  Why continue to provoke?  We have one
and all lost our equilibrium on Vision 2020.   A few bad apples have
managed to rot the barrel.  We've seen that it takes only a few posters
committed to endless, juvenile provocation to turn a valuable forum
into a wretched pissoir.  You are not a troll, Ted, and Chasuk is not a
troll.  I therefore ask that you please stop beating him over the head
with his intemperate posts gone-by.  I see no point in it.  Worse, I
see one decent man spoiling for an online fight with another.

I know Chasuk somewhat better than I know you, Ted, but you both have
my respect.  Chasuk I know to be a decent, kind, and personable man.
And you?  You have terrific taste in music and make the most elegant of
arguments: logical, coherent, and thought-provoking.  Why did Chasuk
and I band together to create the Liberal Moscow blog?  Precisely
because we have grown tired of having the worst elements around here
bring out the worst in us.  Neither of us wants to be unpleasant, and
yet that's just what we have been.  Vision 2020 has turned into a
bullies' playground, and we are faced with the choice of continuing to
hang around here and bloody noses or find somewhere else to carry on a
reasonable conversation.  Will Liberal Moscow be as freewheeling as
what goes on over here?  No.  And I never said it would.  But many
self-identified Republicans and conservatives (and Republican
conservatives) have already joined Liberal Moscow, so the charge that
we've created a one-sided echo chamber is patently false.  That's not
our intention, that's not our goal, and that's not what we have done.

Do I want to walk away from Tony Simpson and Doug Farris?  Yes.  I want
to walk away from the constant temptation to shoot fish in a barrel.
It's harmful to this list and of no particular good to me.  I have
counseled many Vision 2020 detractors over the years to use their
delete key and their Bozo filter, but I now find that I have over
thirty names on block, and I'm adding new Bozos every day.  If I were
invited to a party with thirty guests I liked, and thirty I couldn't
stand, I'd make my excuses and go to the movies instead.  I've gone to
the movies, Ted, and I've invited the fun folk to come along with me.
We'll carry on over on Liberal Moscow -- and some of us will carry on
here -- and we'll hope that the trolls get tired and find another
sandbox.  (Too many cats using this one.  Someone's going to get
impetigo.)

Of course, the disadvantage of Liberal Moscow is that it is decidedly
not "anything goes."  The advantage is that you won't find yourself
flung off the Tilt-O-Whirl, feet first into a pile of crap.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment
www.joanopyr.com