[Vision2020] Fwd: Sex offender legislation

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 10 17:27:34 PDT 2006

Donovan,

I have stated what happens and why, as I understand it based on my
participation in the judicial system.  Ellen is not the only one with
questions, and I offered that last post to try to answer them.  I really
don't want to argue about it, as I don't think there's any point in trying.

It seems to me that you place all sex offenders in the same category, and
want to treat them all the same way.  We can say they're all the same and
punish them the same way.

Now we can opt to do that, but it doesn't make sense to me.  That doesn't
mean that others will agree with me.  I think the 18 year-old guy who has
consensual sex with his 17 year-old girlfriend is not a sex offender, but
the law does.  Should we treat him like the 50 year-old man who has sex with
a 13 year-old?  Should the 17 year-old be labelled a rapist and have to
register as one for the rest of his life?  How many on this listserve fit
that category?

I don't think so.

I have done my best to stay out of this discussion, and to my regret I
joined it.  Before leaving, let me suggest that people who work in the
system, who have some judgement and experience in these matters, sometimes
make plea bargains based on what they have observed in the past and on the
particular facts of the case at hand, and on whether they think the
particular individual will be able to benefit from treatment.

As a society we can choose to legislate away the application of judgement
and discretion, as we have with drug offenses.  I will not be in the parade
of people screaming for this outcome.

I shall now bow out, hopefully not to return.

Sunil