[Vision2020] One final thing

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Fri Jun 9 21:51:33 PDT 2006

Mr. Morin,

Thank you so much for your post and perspective.

In part, you wrote:
"But how are we to square your assessment of Steven's repentance with the
large photo archive of Steven's at sitler.org? The photos included many
snapshots taken of young children in three states, in their bedrooms, during
Steven's visits to their homes. There were even pictures taken of a visit to
your youngest brother's home. The archive was not an oversight on Steven's
part because it included photographs that he uploaded while he waited for
Judge Stegner to sentence him, and it was active until Monday. If Steven
truly repented, why would he keep such an archive online? Or if I may
paraphrase one of the questions you put to Michael, how do you think the
mothers of those victims felt when they saw their dear children proudly
displayed on Steven's web site? Did they say, "Oh, good," or "Oh, no"? How
do you think the mothers in your congregation feel about you deliberately
withholding this information from them?"

IMHO, this is a very important part of the picture.  Before the sitler.org
site was password protected, I had a chance to look through Steven Sitler's
photos as well, and I noted the same things you did.  In light of Sitler's
predatory sexual abuse of children, I was horrified to see the photos of
children  :-(

I can only hope those with access to the pictures will make sure the
caregivers of each and every children pictured are notified of Sitler's
crimes so the caregivers seek help to determine if the pictured children
were among those Sitler victimized.

There are excellent supports to help the *survivors* of child sexual abuse,
and I hope those in need of such resources will ask if they are having
trouble finding assistance.

For those who aren't in the habit of reading Michael Metzler's Pooh's Think
(http://www.poohsthink.com/), I'd like to call you attention to the
following *excellent* comment that appears there:

"Dear Michael,

On Wednesday the Lewiston Morning Tribune reported Doug Wilson saying, “NSA
didn’t make a public announcement because officials were trying to protect
the victims. . . When you have a situation like this, the court system has a
policy of keeping victims’ names out of public knowledge to protect the
names and reputations of victims.”

Unfortunately, Wilson’s statement blurs the distinction between identifying
the victims and protecting the victims. “Identifying” the victims requires
publicizing the name and photograph of Steven Sitler to the regions where he
preyed so that parents could make diligent inquiry: “Was he near my child?
Did he visit my home?”

“Protecting” the victims is another stage in the process and of necessity
follows their identification. In this case, “protection” requires physical
and spiritual relief for the victims within a safe environment, which
obviously includes sealed privacy.

So announcing the capture of a predator is unrelated to protecting victims’
privacy and the two should not be confused. After all, if notifying the
public of a serial pedophile violated the victims’ privacy, then the state
would not upload sex offenders’ photographs to the worldwide web."

This is criticism of Wilson's attempt to confuse the issue is exactly right,
and I urge those of you who may have been taken in by Wilson's obfuscation
to rethink the matter.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
- Edmund Burke

***** Original material contained herein is Copyright 2006, Saundra Lund.
Do not copy, forward, excerpt, or reproduce outside the Vision 2020 forum
without the express written permission of the author.*****