[Vision2020] Rugby News

Drew Hicks drizzle.hicks at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 19:06:07 PDT 2006

Sunil,

You're right on there. I'm simply not willing to accept that we can't
develop the way soccer has. Soccer is newer to America than rugby is, so
that may just be an issue of pride with me. We've actually met. You were out
at Mt. View when we were practicing last Fall.

I too played under a Kiwi, who was a star for the Eagles in the late 70s and
early 80s, Doug Park. Coach Park has been extremely vigilant with his
efforts towards the development of rugby and seen tremendous success, in
Texas (high school football capitol of the world) of all places. So advances
are being made. We certainly have a long way to go though. One of my desires
is to foster a few teams in the Palous region.

Our club, St. Andy's RFC, is going on it's fourth season and we have had
victories over Boise State, Whitman College, Univ. Idaho, Lewis Clark and
Western Washington U. Our coach is from SA, where he played at the college
and regional level. We'll join PNRFU this year and hope to be a contender
for the DII championship in the future.

I'll let you know when we get together for 7s practice so you can come out
and play.

Would you be interested in coming to Edmonton with our  club  to see the
Churchill Cup finals next week. You can check out details by visiting the
website at www.standysrfc.com and clicking on the "road trip" banner. Let me
know.

Drizzle