[Vision2020] USA way over-ranked in World Cup

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Thu Jun 8 11:07:14 PDT 2006

The US has a very strong team going in to the
World Cup - if you have followed the US Men's
team since Bruce Arena took over as head coach,
you would know that.  Their showing in the 2002
WC was quite impressive.  Most of the players on
this year's WC team play for international clubs
- those that don't play in the MLS.

But, do they deserve a #5 ranking - well, based
on the FIFA ranking system - yes.  Does that mean
they will make the quarter finals? - I think that is why they play the games.

And wow, it is the start of the World Cup - so we
don't have to wait too long to find out about the
strength of our team - they open with the Czech
Republic (a very strong team).  The US also has
to play in their group - Italy and Ghana - a
tough group for sure.  So, forget the rankings - watch and cheer for the US!