[Vision2020] Coulter Stands Behind "Harpies" Comment

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jun 8 06:29:46 PDT 2006

>From today's (June 8, 2006) Spokesman Review -

Ann Coulter is quoted as saying:

"How do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies?
I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so much."

Coulter stands by 'harpies' comment

Adam Lisberg
New York Daily News
June 8, 2006

NEW YORK - Fresh from slamming a group of Sept. 11 widows as "witches and
harpies," Ann Coulter turned her attention to Sen. Hillary Clinton, D-N.Y.,
Wednesday after the senator challenged the conservative writer's comments.

Clinton led a parade of outraged politicians from both parties who said
Coulter's book "Godless: The Church of Liberalism," went beyond the pale by
painting four Sept. 11 widows known as "the Jersey Girls" as self-obsessed
opportunists.

"I find it unimaginable that anyone in the public eye could launch a vicious
and mean-spirited attack on people whom I've known for the last 4 1/2 years
to be deeply concerned about the safety and security of our country,"
Clinton said in Washington. "Perhaps her book should have been called
'Heartless.' "

During a radio appearance on Long Island, Coulter countered that Clinton was
attacking her "for being mean to women. This is, I remind you, Bill
Clinton's wife.

"If she's worried about people being mean to women, she should talk to her
own husband."

Coulter, the hard-right pundit known for her above-the-knee hemlines and
below-the-belt punchlines, wrote that "the Jersey Girls" love being Sept. 11
widows because it made them rich, gave them national attention and let them
criticize President Bush without fear of reprisal.

"How do we know their husbands weren't planning to divorce these harpies?"
Coulter writes. "I've never seen people enjoying their husbands' deaths so
much."

Gov. George Pataki said Wednesday that Coulter was "far worse than
insensitive. . I have spoken with many, many grieving family members, and
the hurt is real. The pain is real."

Coulter's criticism was aimed at four New Jersey women who have spent the
years since the 2001 terror attacks supporting an independent commission to
examine government failures before the attack, and in the 2004 presidential
campaign they endorsed Democrat John Kerry.

The women are Kristen Breitweiser, Lorie Van Auken, Mindy Kleinberg and
Patty Casazza.

The women, who are still pushing for changes in how the government guards
against future attacks, issued a joint statement after Coulter's television
appearance Tuesday on NBC's "Today" show.

"We have been slandered. Contrary to Ms. Coulter's statements, there was no
joy in watching men that we loved burn alive. There was no happiness in
telling our children that their fathers were never coming home again. We
adored these men and miss them every day," the women said.

But an unrepentant Coulter didn't back down - instead using her appearances
to lash out again at the widows.

"The 9/11 widows are witches and harpies," Coulter said, refusing to
apologize for the scathing comments in her new book. "You can't argue with
them. You just have to listen."

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"A bad cause will ever be supported by bad means and bad men."

- Thomas Paine (English Writer, 1737-1809)