[Vision2020] Steven Sitler

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Wed Jun 7 10:25:01 PDT 2006

Visionaries:

No one in the community delights in the tragedy that has befallen  family
members of Christ Church or Trinity Reform.  Indeed, these sad  events should
compel all of us in a way to reflect on the fact that past past  disagreements
are trivial in comparison to the anguish of those who have been  effected by the
behavior of Steven Sitler.

Surely we can all agree that Mr. Sitler's behavior was no more tolerable to
the elders and leaders of Christ Church than it is to you or  me.  There is
absolutely evidence to believe that once identified  as a child molester Mr.
Sitler was allowed to continue his behavior unchecked by  either civil or
spiritual authorities.

I have long been identified as a person who is outspokenly critical of many
of the political and cultural positions espoused by Douglas Wilson and his
cronies.  I will continue to challenge this leadership and his perspective  in
so far (in my opinion) as it negatively impacts the community.   Nonetheless, I
 don't believe for a moment that Doug Wilson or anyone else  in Christ Church
tolerates or protects child molesters.

However, there is   a difference between protecting a child  molester and
protecting a community.  The following analogy seems to  me to be applicable.  If
a community member was diagnosed with tuberculosis  we would expect immediate
appropriate treatment for the infected  person.   Community leaders and
public health officials have a  specific responsibility to immediately notify
co-workers, friends,  family, acquaintances, and other contacts of the infected
person so that  they might seek appropriate treatment as a consequence of
exposure.  It would be dereliction of duty to wait several  months or operate on a
"need to know" basis.

With the clear and certain knowledge that the church community had  been
exposed to a soul damaging infection why in God's name weren't adult  members
immediately given the information so that they might determine if  their children
were also victimized?  Why weren't qualified and  trained counselors make
available to the congregations?  Just as  effective treatment for infectious
disease requires professional expertise,  similarly, treatment for the victims of
sexual exploitation and/or  abuse require professional intervention.  What
credentials or experience  (other than pastoral consolation - which is undeniably
important but not  sufficient) did the leadership of the Kirk bring to this
sad situation?   Recognizing their own lack of training in the area  did they
find other  ways to help their flock? Rather than help, the long months of
silence suggests their hope that containment of the problem was a  higher priority
than genuine pro-active pastoral care.  Pride in the  reputation of the
church leaders, New St. Andrews, and Christ Church appears to  take a higher
priority than pastoral ministry.  How can the members of this  faith community trust
a leadership that keeps to itself matters of  such tremendous impact and
potential harm to its members?  God forbid  that this will ever happen again, but
if it does, I pray it will be handled  expeditiously with grace and love.

Rose Huskey