[Vision2020] Re: Bike/Ped Transportation Options

Nils Peterson nils_peterson at wsu.edu
Sun Jun 4 10:56:47 PDT 2006

Jeff,
Thanks for your efforts to remain in this conversation and to maintain a
constructive tone to the dialog. Recent discussion in another thread about
V2020 being doomed stems, I think, from incivility that has caused many to
respond more extremely than is warranted to various postings.

For myself, when someone in this conversation asked about taxing bike path
users, I tuned out. It was the tone of the post, or the choice of words, or
the V2020 climate -- and not the underlying question that turned me off. The
underlying question seems to me to be (as you seem to be asking), how do we,
as a society, pay for a shared resource, and are the current modes of paying
for it sustainable?

The issues you state below are interesting: How has the trail use been
assessed? what can be known about behaviors of non-users? How might the
trail (Latah or system generally) be further enhanced to meet its champion's
visions for it? What are those visions, do they compete? What funding
mechanisms are/ or might be found to address trail development and
maintenance?

Let me offer one personal reason for non-use. I walk with my 4 year old
daughter from west of Tidymans to points in Eastside Marketplace. We have
two routes: along the trail, crossing Hwy 8 to the dollar store and
diagonally through the parking lot from the Blaine/Hwy8 intersection. Each
has problems: the crossing of Hwy 8 with no crosswalk vs. use of a mall
parking lot not designed for pedestrians. In that situation, I'm a trail
non-user because I let my daughter pick among equally bad routes, rather
than being able to argue for, and choose, a clearly superior one. I think
Kit Crane called this problem "connectivity" to the trail. Joe Campbell
reported similar issues using the western leg of the trail to commute to
WSU.