[Vision2020] Boise's Dominance: Micron, HP

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 4 07:49:54 PDT 2006

Jeff and Debbie,

 What do student loans and research dollars  count as? As I understand it, the $120 million is what the state gets  to run the educational programs at UI, but Moscow also gets funds from  student loans, grants, tuition and fees, and grants totaling about $320  million annually. Loans do not count as income, as I understand it, but  grants do. Are grants earned income?

  Best Regards,

  Donovan J Arnold

Jeff Harkins <jeffh at moscow.com> wrote:  Hi Debbie,

Thanks for weighing in.  You might want to visit the Regional
Economic Income System (REIS) - there is a mirror site at WSU.

Don't forget, UI funding is largely a state subsidy - about $115 -
$120 million a year.  Also, don't forget the subsidy for K-12.

Also, it is kinda sneaky - but most of the revenues derived by
Gritman Hospital are a result of medicare, medicaid and insurance
payments.  Since we don't have a local insurance company housed in
Latah County, medical payments for personal insurance get moved over
to providers - in essence a transfer payment.

My numbers are hard and the results are troubling.

Oh yea - all our public school teachers, UI and WSU professors, staff
persons get their checks as a result of a state subsidy.  It's not
that we don't earn it, but we don't get to pass it on to a customer
outside our local economy.  If we could sell the value added to
students - well, you know, we just can't do that.  Even the fees paid
to doctors for medical treatment are, in effect, mostly covered by
federal and state transfers (medicaid, medicare) and local insurance premiums.

At 10:08 PM 6/3/2006, you wrote:
>regarding transfer payments:
>
>According to the Bureau of Economic Analysis data available at the
>Northwest Area Foundation Indicator Website I've mentioned before, the
>breakdown of income for latah county is as follows:
>
>Individuals and households get their income from three main sources:
>-net earnings;
>-dividends, interest, and rent;
>-and transfer payments (for example, Social Security and Unemployment
>Compensation).
>
>Among Latah County residents in 2004. . .
>
>-net earnings made up 69 percent of personal income, compared to 75
>percent in 1970;
>
>-dividends, interest and rent - income from investments - made up 17
>percent of personal income, compared to 16 percent in 1970;
>
>-transfer payments made up 14 percent of personal income, compared to 9
>percent in 1970.
>
>http://www.indicators.nwaf.org/DrawRegion.aspx?RegionID=16057&IndicatorID=8
>
>I am not certain what you mean by subsidies but the figure of 66% doesn't
>seem representative of actual income receipts. The U.S. and Idaho average
>is 15% from transfer payments.
>
>Debbie
>

>On Sat, 3 Jun 2006, Jeff Harkins wrote:
>
> > Actually Ted, since Latah County derives about
> > 66% of its regional income from subsidies and
> > transfer payments (yes, we are in effect a
> > welfare county), if Boise were to suffer
> > significant economic decline, we would feel the
> > effect rather quickly (lower subsidies).
> >
> > Since we don't have a robust export-based
> > economy, we will never have economic power.  To
> > have economic power, you first, have to pay your own way - we don't.

 List services made available by First Step Internet,
          mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com

http://mail.yahoo.com