[Vision2020] RE: Tribune uncovers new Moscowpro-growth gro

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jun 2 18:24:24 PDT 2006

It is my impression that the MCA's perception of "smart growth" is that of
gradual "evolution" of a community fiscally, economically, and socially.
This type of growth generally takes years to mature.  Everybody that lives
in or visits Moscow knows that Moscow possesses a certain mystique that is
missing from other Palouse communities.  Perhaps this mystique can be
maintained as Moscow enriches itself fiscally, economically, and socially
over the next five, ten, and twenty years.

It is my belief that both MCA and I want to see Moscow grow, but not at a
rate that Moscow's way of life cannot maintain.

I am all for mixed-use as it allows Moscow to slowly expand.

You realize, of course, that Moscow currently has three large grocery
stores; one in the west section of Moscow (WinCo), one in the central
district (Rosauers), and one in the east section (Safeway), not bad for a
town of about 25,000.  I seriously fail to see any reason for adding another
grocery store.  Remember Tidyman's?

and the Realist adjusts his sails."
- Unknown